Trustees approve undergraduate enrollment cap

Students walking in front of Samford Hall on Wed, Jan. 16, 2019 in Auburn, Ala.

Beginning next academic year, undergraduate enrollment at Auburn University will be capped at 25,000 students. Freshman classes will also not exceed 5,000 students.

At their Nov. 22 meeting, the Auburn Board of Trustees approved a resolution that updated their undergraduate enrollment policy to include these enrollment caps.

"The current policy that is in place does not reflect necessarily the new strategic plan," said Joffery Gaymon, vice president of enrollment services.

She said the policy change reinforces the goal of prioritizing Alabama residents by requiring that Alabama residents compose approximately 60% of new freshman classes.

"Currently, our undergraduate enrollment has always been less than 25,000 students," Gaymon said. "[It] has never been the goal to exceed that, so this policy really reinforces that notion."

Auburn has never had a freshman class of over 5,000 students but has had greater than 4,500 students since the 2014 freshman class.

“The policy really reflects the current practice, which was never intended to exceed 5,000 students,” Gaymon said.

The resolution states that when space is unavailable on Auburn’s campus, undergraduate applicants will be invited to consider Auburn University at Montgomery.

Trice Brown | Campus Editor

Trice Brown, sophomore in english language arts education, is the campus editor of The Auburn Plainsman.

@trice_tm

campus@theplainsman.com

Share and discuss “Trustees approve undergraduate enrollment cap” on social media.