University takes early precautions against potential coronavirus

<p>Produced by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), in collaboration with Colorado State University, this highly magnified, digitally colorized scanning electron microscopic (SEM) image, reveals ultrastructural details at the site of interaction of two spherical shaped, Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) viral particles, colorized blue, that were on the surface of a camel epithelial cell, colorized red.<br>
</p>

Produced by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), in collaboration with Colorado State University, this highly magnified, digitally colorized scanning electron microscopic (SEM) image, reveals ultrastructural details at the site of interaction of two spherical shaped, Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) viral particles, colorized blue, that were on the surface of a camel epithelial cell, colorized red.

Auburn University President Jay Gogue has formed a task force to monitor the potential impacts of COVID-19, the novel coronavirus, to campus, according to Campus Safety and Security.

A report from the Centers for Disease Control earlier this week stated that the agency expects the number of U.S. cases to increase, according to an email distributed to students and faculty on Feb. 27. Though no cases have been reported in Alabama, the University said it would like to "keep the campus community informed."

The task force is made up of health experts, emergency management personnel and other campus leaders. The group is seeking to "plan for how the evolving situation with the coronavirus could impact the University," the email said.

In accordance with the advisory group, the University is also temporarily suspending travel to South Korea, following its previous travel ban to China. It is keeping watch on Italy to determine if further action is needed concerning the coronavirus situation there.

"[University officials] encourage those who have returned from those countries within the last four weeks, or have been exposed to someone who is ill and who has traveled there in the last month, to call the Auburn Medical Clinic," the email said.

Campus Safety included links to the CDC's travel warnings and alerts to countries affected by the coronavirus in the email, and it asked students and faculty to "take needed precautions to ensure their health and the health of others."

The Auburn University Medical Clinic may be reached at (334) 844-6125. After closing or on weekends, the University asked those with reason to believe they have been affected by the virus to contact East Alabama Medical Center at (334) 749-3411.

Share and discuss “University takes early precautions against potential coronavirus” on social media.