Student project coordinators for Tiger Giving Day express gratitude

<p>Auburn University hosted Tiger Giving Day on Feb. 19, and clubs and organizations had the chance to raise money through donors who picked which organizations to fund.</p>

Auburn University hosted Tiger Giving Day on Feb. 19, and clubs and organizations had the chance to raise money through donors who picked which organizations to fund.

For clubs and organizations trying to get more funding, Tiger Giving Day is a chance to make their case to donors.

“Tiger Giving Day is an opportunity to show donors that a relatively small gift can make a big difference,” said Jane DiFolco Parker, Auburn’s vice president for development and president of the Auburn University Foundation. “It also is an opportunity for our students and faculty to show the world the breadth and diversity of our education, research and outreach.”

Laura Hamilton, senior in civil environment engineering, was the student project coordinator for Sending Auburn Kayakers into Whitewater. The project intends to send members of the Whitewater Kayaking Club to competitions throughout the Southeast region of the United States. 

“I was super excited when I saw that Tim Cook donated to our club,” Hamilton said. “It was awesome to see all of the donations — not just from people we knew but even people that were random donors.”

Julianne Lyn, SGA executive vice president of initiatives, and Baker Smith, senior in biomedical sciences, were the project coordinators for Aid the Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner Program.

The SANE program, which was implemented in early January, certified the full-time nurses at the Auburn University Medical Clinic to perform forensic exams to gather evidence of sexual assault and provide treatment and medication to prevent the spread of sexually transmitted diseases.

“It is important to have this program to be made more accessible to students,” Smith said. “In the moments following a crisis, it is really important for a student to feel like they are cared for and the resources are provided for them in a comfortable environment.”

Smith said the plans for the SANE program have been in the works since March 2019. He said they have been fundraising since last semester, and Tiger Giving Day was a great opportunity to give students a chance to participarte in donating to the program.

Smith said they ran the day like a campaign to reach a wide variety of students across campus. He said their shared goal of certifying an on-campus nurse helped motivate them.

Daniel Leaphart, junior in geology, was the student project coordinator for the Keep the Martial Arts Club Kickin’! project. The club was raising money to afford more mats so all participants could take part in the activities the club hosts.

“It was a successful day; we got most of the funds we were looking to get for this project,” Leaphart said. “I am really glad this worked out because now we have the money to be able to extend the area in which we get to practice with the mats.”

Reilly Cuccinelli, junior in industrial engineering, was a student coordinator for Help Auburn’s Clay Shooters Stay on Target. The goal of this project was to raise money to send students to compete in the National Clay Shooting competition in San Antonio, Texas. The donations helped fund 10 students to go to the competition.

“It is a great system for student organizations or club sports to raise money,” Cuccinelli said. “Our sport is very expensive, and without funding from the school, it is hard to be able to afford these competitions.”

Share and discuss “Student project coordinators for Tiger Giving Day express gratitude” on social media.