National Weather Service expands tornado watch to include Lee County

<p>The National Weather Service Birmingham tweeted this updated storm graphic at 5:01 p.m on April 19.</p>

The National Weather Service Birmingham tweeted this updated storm graphic at 5:01 p.m on April 19.

Lee County is now under a tornado watch in effect until 11 p.m., National Weather Service Birmingham said in a tweet today at 5:23 p.m.

The area under a tornado watch is at risk for several strong tornadoes, scattered hail up to the size of a lime and widespread gusts of wind of up to 70 mph, according to a tweet earlier this afternoon from National Weather Service Birmingham.

Auburn University Campus Safety also tweeted that two locations on campus are open for shelter for those who feel unsafe or need protection.

"Tornado Watch until 11pm. Greene Hall & RBD Library are open for the duration of the watch for those who do not have a more suitable place to seek shelter," the tweet reads. 

Greene Hall — located in the College of Veterinary Medicine — and Ralph Draughon Library are opened whenever a tornado watch is issued for Auburn University, day or night, for those who do not have a suitable place to shelter.

Evan Mealins | Editor-in-chief

Evan Mealins, senior in philosophy and economics, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

@EvanMealins

ecm0060@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “National Weather Service expands tornado watch to include Lee County” on social media.