Students share their thoughts on the extension of remote operations

<p>Face-to-face classes have the option to continue online until Feb 8.</p>

Face-to-face classes have the option to continue online until Feb 8.

Professors at Auburn University have been given the option to postpone in-person classes and continue with the online format through Feb. 8. 

Chandler Stockton, sophomore in building science, said two of his classes originally set for in-person were postponed.

“I prefer in-person classes because not only do they hold me accountable, but I also love Auburn and I want to interact with my peers,” he said.

Stockton said his professors plan to continue their classes online for as long as the University allows them. However, Stockton said there are many disadvantages associated with virtual instruction.  

“I have never been particularly impressed by the virtual classroom because it puts up roadblocks to being able to get clarity on topics,” he said. “Having to wait on emails or coordinate Zoom meetings makes it hard, and so much [communication] comes from body language that is lost in a virtual setting.”

One of his teacher’s reasoning for this change to online classes was that they would have to split the class into two separate sections. The professor did not feel like this would be a good environment for discussion, Stockton said. 

Sarah Sternberg, sophomore in communication disorders, said three out of four of her classes that were supposed to be delivered face-to-face have been pushed back until Feb. 8. The fourth class has decided to continue online for the rest of the semester.

“I was irate about the others being pushed back,” she said. “I feel like I have been baited. Every time I think that our lives are going to return to normal, they push the deadline back again. I think it is incredibly unfair. The teachers are calling all of the shots, but they are not the ones whose futures are at stake.”

Sternberg said professors’ reasoning for extending online classes is due to classroom space, and simply wanting to continue online delivery for as long as possible.

She said she prefers face-to-face classes because she believes they are more engaging and she has an easier time focusing in a more social environment.

Samantha Shelton, freshman in media studies, said that three of her classes are online until Feb. 8.

Shelton said with professors switching to online classes, she keeps having to change her schedule. It is confusing at times to keep up with when she is going to class in-person or when she is logging in online through Zoom, she said.

However, she said she still prefers classes being online.

“I prefer online classes because it saves me time from walking to class and I can also do class at more convenient times,” Shelton said.

Her professor's reasoning was that Auburn University recommended continuing with virtual classes, so they decided to abide by that, she said.

Abby Winskowicz | Lifestyle Writer

Abby Winskowicz, sophomore in communication, is a lifestyle writer at The Auburn Plainsman. 

Share and discuss “Students share their thoughts on the extension of remote operations” on social media.