Auburn lands commitment from Georgia transfer guard K.D. Johnson

Georgia basketball player K.D. Johnson (0) during a game against Auburn at Stegeman Coliseum in Athens, Ga., on Wednesday, January 13, 2020. (Photo by Tony Walsh)

Auburn has added a member of the SEC’s All-Freshman Team to its roster as former Georgia guard K.D. Johnson committed to the Tigers on Wednesday.

Johnson is the fifth transfer to commit to Auburn this offseason and is the fourth transfer guard. He announced his decision via Twitter.

The former 4-star guard was rated as the No. 20 point guard in the class of 2020 and was the No. 6 player in Virginia, according to 247Sports composite rankings.

After committing to Georgia, Johnson missed the first ten games of the season for the Bulldogs because of "NCAA academic certification issues", according to the Georgia Athletics website. His collegiate debut came against Auburn, where he finished with 21 points on 9-of-19 shooting from the field in 29 minutes.

The then-freshman ended his first collegiate season averaging 13.5 points, 1.2 assists, 2.8 rebounds and 3.4 turnovers in 16 games on an average of 22.5 minutes per game. 

At the end of the season, Johnson was named to the SEC’s All-Freshman Team, which also featured fellow guard Sharife Cooper.

Jake Weese | Sports Editor

Jake Weese, senior in journalism with a minor in history, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

@TheJakeWeese

Sports@theplainsman.com 

Share and discuss “Auburn lands commitment from Georgia transfer guard K.D. Johnson” on social media.