Auburn falls at South Carolina for second straight season

Nov. 20, 2021; Columbia, South Carolina; An Auburn defender gets pushed aside by South Carolina’s Kevin Harris (20) in a match between Auburn and South Carolina.

to South Carolina 21-17. Auburn has now lost to USC in back-to-back years for the first time. The three-game losing streak is the longest in Bryan Harsin’s career. 

“I’m always surprised to see 17 with what we are trying to do on offense. 17 points doesn't cut it,” Harsin said. 

Auburn was outscored by its opponent down the stretch, which is nothing new as of late. Auburn went up 14-0 in the first quarter. Afterward, it was all Gamecocks. Auburn put up only three to Carolina’s 21, missing a 25-yard field goal along the way. 

Auburn out-rushed and out-passed the Gamecocks, led by Tank Bigsby on the ground. The sophomore back had 164 yards on 22 carries and a score. Bigsby, however, was noticeably not handed the ball down the stretch. On Auburn’s final drive, the Tigers ran five straight passing plays, electing not to hand to Bigsby or any other back.

Bigsby outrushed the entire USC team by 15 yards on the night. The next closest Auburn rusher was Jarquez Hunter, with 18 yards on the ground.

The three-game losing streak is Auburn’s longest such streak since 2012. 

"Right now for this football team, we got to do a better job of putting our guys in position to be successful, as coaches,” Harsin said. “We are not finishing games. We are not putting ourselves in drives where we need points."

T.J. Finley, in his first start for Auburn, played “solid” according to Harsin. Finley passed for 188 yards and a touchdown. Shedrick Jackson was Finley’s favorite target on the night, with a career-high in catches and yards. Jackson had seven catches for 111 yards. 

“T.J. is a good playmaker. I knew that since day one. I believe in him, the offense believes in him,” Jackson said.

On the home side, Zaquandre White was all over the place for the Gamecocks. White had 99 yards rushing and 69 yards receiving, with a touchdown catch. 

Auburn’s next opponent is No. 2 Alabama, on the heels of quarterback Bryce Young’s record-breaking day.

Young posted the best statistical performance by an Alabama quarterback in school history on Saturday against Arkansas, going 31-for-40 for 559 yards passing.

"We beat Bama and this is a whole different story,” Jackson said.

The Iron Bowl will kick-off at 2:30 CST in Jordan-Hare Stadium next Saturday on Nov. 27. This story will be updated by The Plainsman.

Henry Zimmer | Sports Reporter

Henry Zimmer is from Jacksonville, Florida, and is currently in his fifth year with The Plainsman. He is currently the Sports Reporter and can be followed on Twitter here: @henryzimmer

Share and discuss “Auburn falls at South Carolina for second straight season” on social media.