Auburn University's Katelyn Vinson crowned Miss Alabama USA 2022

<p>Auburn's own Katelyn Vinson crowned Miss Alabama USA.</p>

Auburn's own Katelyn Vinson crowned Miss Alabama USA.

Auburn University’s own Katelyn Vinson is Miss Alabama USA 2022. Vinson is a senior majoring in business administration with a minor in marketing from Dothan, Alabama.

Growing up in Dothan, Alabama, Vinson was surrounded by a large pageant community, which Vinson said originates with the National Peanut Festival and the accompanying pageant. 

“I always laugh because I was the only little girl in my friend group who didn’t compete in a Little Miss Peanut preliminary pageant,” Vinson said. “My dad told me he would buy me 1,000 Webkinz if I didn’t do it, so as any 6-year-old would, I took the offer.”

It wasn’t until Vinson was 11 years old that she found interest in competing in pageants and was able to convince her family of this idea. If there was something Vinson could tell her younger self, it would be to embrace who you are. 

“Our quirks and differences are what make us unique,” Vinson said. “It feels so good to shamelessly be myself at all times. I wish I would have realized that sooner, but I am thankful I am comfortable in my own skin now.”

A pivotal point in Vinson’s life was her senior year in high school when she realized pageants were a passion of hers. Vinson competed in the Miss National Peanut Festival Pageant as Miss Houston County. When it was time for Vinson to give up her crown as Miss Houston County, she reflected on the year and time she spent serving her community. 

This is when Vinson knew she was ready to move forward leaps and bounds in the pageant world. 

“I literally bought my evening gown for Miss Alabama USA the following day,” Vinson said.

Despite getting dressed up and having her hair and makeup done for pageants, Vinson would not describe herself as the typical "girly girl." Growing up with hunters and fishermen in her family, Vinson prefers to be “found without makeup doing something outdoorsy,” she said.  

Beyond this, Vinson is greatly influenced by the legacy her Pop’s left behind. 

“He was brilliant, and those who knew him said he was always the smartest man in the room, yet he never made anyone feel less than,” Vinson said. “I aspire to always carry his gentle spirit, servant’s heart and desire to always learn more.”

In preparing for a pageant, Vinson emphasized the importance of taking care of her physical health and mental well-being. Despite the numerous walking lessons she takes and mock interviews she does, Vinson said her priority is always her physical and mental health.  

Vinson’s favorite aspect about pageants is the people she meets along the way, whom she describes as being some of the kindest people she knows. 

“It is so refreshing to be around women who cheer you on and celebrate your successes,” Vinson said. The women Vinson competes with all share a driven work ethic and understand the commitment it takes to be on that stage. Therefore, they have a mutual respect for one another." 

Before the competition for Miss Alabama USA 2022 began, Vinson daydreamed constantly about being one of the last two standing on stage, holding hands with her opponent and hearing her name be called. 

When Vinson found herself at that moment in real life, waiting for the winner to be announced, she quickly prayed to be at peace with whatever the outcome may be. That anticipation quickly turned into a celebration.

“When they announced Dothan as the winner, my jaw hit the floor,” Vinson said. “It was the most joy-filled, rewarding moment I have yet to experience.”

As Miss Alabama, Vinson is looking forward to the year ahead with fellow Auburn University students and Miss Tiger Town Teen, AnnaLee Story. Being able to work with Story in serving Alabama makes it all the more special, and Vinson is excited to see what they accomplish in the year to come.

In 2022, Vinson has the opportunity to compete for the title of Miss USA and promote her platform, which is the importance of brain health. 

“The condition of the human brain directly contributes to causes of mental illness,” Vinson said. “I am a believer in taking care of the one body we get, and the brain is the center of all of it.”

Jayne Duignan | Culture Writer

Jayne Duignan, senior in journalism and psychology, is a culture writer at The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Auburn University's Katelyn Vinson crowned Miss Alabama USA 2022” on social media.