Academic Classroom and Laboratory Complex opens to students

<p>&nbsp;Auburn University photos</p>
<p>Photos courtesy of Auburn University</p>

Auburn University photos

Photos courtesy of Auburn University

This fall, the Academic Classroom and Laboratory Complex opened its doors to Auburn students. The space contains classrooms, labs, study areas and large lecture halls to accommodate the growing needs of students. 

With the capacity to hold 2,000 students, the ACLC now stands second to the Haley Center for the largest class space on Auburn's campus.

Asim Ali, executive director of the Biggio Center for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning, stated that the purpose of building the ACLC was to update facilities to modern learning and teaching standards. Ali explained the building will act as a spiritual successor to Parker Hall in housing many math and science courses.

“We’re always looking for ways to innovate. What I’m really excited about is seeing how students use the spaces," Ali said. "We may make adjustments and enhancements, depending on what students want and need." 

Faculty will be able to utilize technology to record and broadcast lessons with the latest audio-visual technology. Other features include movable furniture and writable glass boards. Each classroom is designed to be a flexible working space that is able to function as both a laboratory or classroom, allowing for the school to meet the demand for classes on a semester-by-semester basis.

The ACLC is part of a larger effort from Auburn to improve outdated teaching spaces around campus. Started in 2011, the Central Classroom Facility Program aims to bring Auburn facilities up to 21st-century standards. 

Other projects for this program include the Mell Classroom Building and the Tony and Libba Rane Culinary Science Center.

“It’s so fancy, which is nice. It’s very easy to be calm in the buildings and just pay attention and it’s so convenient because it’s right by The Edge and the Student Center.” said Madison Denton, sophomore in industrial and systems engineering.

An official ACLC opening is set for Friday, September 16th with President Christopher B. Roberts and other Auburn leaders in attendance.

Diane Pham | News Writer

Diane Pham, freshman in industrial engineering, is a news writer at The Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Academic Classroom and Laboratory Complex opens to students” on social media.