Auburn defeats Troy in offensive showdown to capture 30th win of season

<p>KK McCrary (#16) at bat against South Alabama on March 3rd 2023</p>

KK McCrary (#16) at bat against South Alabama on March 3rd 2023

Auburn softball took care of business Wednesday night in a 7-5 win and earned its second win over Troy this season in an offensive showdown.

In a game that saw a run in six out of seven innings, Auburn and Troy would combine for 13 hits, with Troy hitting three home runs. 

After surrendering two runs early in the contest, Auburn scored six times in the game's first four innings.  

“You have to answer, especially at home,” said head coach Mickey Dean. “You want to make sure that they know this is our home, this is our field, and for us to answer was huge.” 

After the Trojans tied it up in the second inning, the Tigers continued to pile on the hits, led by KK McCrary. 

“It was good to come through for the team,” McCrary said. “We’ve been working on hitting in high-pressure situations and runners on base. So it came through with what we have been working on in practice.” 

McCrary finished the game 2-for-4 from the plate with three RBIs, one stolen base and one run. 

While Maddie Penta picked up her 18th win of the season, she was less sharp than usual, surrendering three home runs in the first two innings. She received help from her defense to preserve her win.

“Just play defense, be behind our pitcher's back,” said center fielder Makayla Packer. “Penta is our starting pitcher. She is the one that everyone knows that we are going to go to her, so just being there for Penta. If she can’t do it in the circle, we do it on defense right behind her and have her back like she has ours.” 

Penta finished the game with five innings pitched, three hits, three earned runs, one walk and seven strikeouts. She was relieved by Shelby Lowe in the sixth inning. 

Auburn provided looks for a multitude of players at the plate and the field, as 13 Tigers saw a plate appearance. 

“We are not just worried about the starting nine,” Packer said. “We are worried about the whole team, so there are new faces getting at-bats. That is very important because the new team coming in, you don’t know what she can do keeping them on their toes.”  

Auburn picked up its 30th win of the season to improve to 30-12, using the mid-week action to prepare for its upcoming SEC series. 

“We play good teams mid-week,” Dean said. “When you are able to see their pitcher Leanna Johnson who leads the country in wins, when you are able to see that mid-week, you are more prepared for the weekend.” 

Auburn will look to keep the momentum going as it looks ahead to a weekend SEC series against LSU at home. Game one of the three-game series will take place Friday, April 14. The first pitch will be at 5 p.m. CST and will be broadcast on the SEC Network. 

Craig Noyes | Sports Writer

Craig Noyes is a junior from Kensington, Maryland, majoring in journalism. He joined The Plainsman in January 2023.

Twitter: @craignoyes58

Share and discuss “Auburn defeats Troy in offensive showdown to capture 30th win of season” on social media.