Upperclassmen offer advice to incoming freshmen

<p>Freshman year marks a big change from high school, and several upperclassman shared their advice on how to make that adjustment smoothly.</p>

Freshman year marks a big change from high school, and several upperclassman shared their advice on how to make that adjustment smoothly.

The adjustment to college can be a big change, and it can be challenging to find ways to adapt to the changes coming. Luckily, there are people that serve as a helpful support system when it comes to guiding others on this journey. 

Because they have been there and done that, these people know the ropes and are more than eager to tell others things they wish they knew when they first arrived. It can be comforting to receive advice from those who have had similar worries. It is even more consoling to see a refreshing perspective in times of uncertainty or apprehension. Some upperclassmen shared their takes on making college feel more like home.

Emori Zieverink, junior in media studies, shared her advice on a perspective to start out with, to make college feel special. 

“College is so hard at first, but it really is what you make of it. You’ll get out what you put in, so if you love Auburn with all your heart and give it your everything, you will get an abundance in return. Home is really where the heart is,” Zieverink said.

When asked to share what she did to make Auburn feel like home to her, Makenzie Moore, senior in media studies, said she was more than happy to offer some helpful tips.

“I’d say I made college feel like home by meeting and connecting with new people as much as possible,” Moore said. “It’s really easy to feel isolated when you first come to college, but getting involved and making connections made me feel as if I was a part of a community. I also made an effort to explore Auburn as much as possible, even the stuff off-campus. Really knowing the city and getting an idea of what it has to offer made it feel more like a home and less like a temporary residence.” 

Similar to Moore’s take, Karley Crim, junior in marketing, explained that meeting people is important but, that accessorizing a living space can also enhance an individual’s experience and make it more enjoyable.

“I would say to have your room decorated how you like and maybe bring a few things from home to make it feel more homey. And then, to have a good group of friends who are always there for you that you can rely on like family. Those are the things that have worked for me,” Crim said.

Monica Bashir, junior in neuroscience and Spanish, shared some insight as a third-year Resident Assistant. Because a huge part of her job is helping freshman get adjusted to their new home, she saw it fitting to speak on this subject matter.

Although it’s in her job description, Bashir said she is so grateful to have been able to help people adjust to campus life. Making Auburn feel like home is something that can take time. 

“The best advice I could give to anyone is to get as involved as you can at the beginning of freshman year, so that you can figure out what you like and meet a lot of diverse groups of people," Bashir said. "If you give it time, you’re sure to find your fit somewhere, and once you find your people on campus, it’ll always feel like home."

While some might have found it difficult to adapt to a new place, others like Cody Auten, junior in building science, found the change to be smooth. 

“For me it was a very easy transition because Auburn is a very homey feeling place in itself. But, I think surrounding yourself with the right people, getting involved within the community and being willing to meet new people and make new friends has helped me feel super at home here,” Auten said. 

While it is completely normal to be nervous about moving to a brand new place, students can look to others that have previously been where they are now for advice. Some big points to remember are to customize a living space in a way that is expresses individuality, make an effort to meet new people and get involved with something, whether that’s on or off campus. 

Freshman year can be somewhat chaotic and an adjustment from what students are used to, but once the realization of freedom hits, the possibilities are endless.

Share and discuss “Upperclassmen offer advice to incoming freshmen” on social media.