The Plains Taproom’s bingo nights support local charities

The Plains Taproom on September 14, 2023, the day after the Charity Bingo Event.

Every second and fourth Wednesday of the month customers at the Plains Taproom can be found sipping on drinks, eating dinner and playing bingo for charity. Each one-dollar bingo card supports a designated charity each month that goes towards a cause specifically impacting the Auburn community. 

Scott Brown, one of the co-owners of the Plains Taproom, discussed bingo night as an event for all ages, and not just those who can enjoy beer, wine, seltzers and hard cider from the tap that they are known for. The Plains Taproom is the only self-pour taproom in Auburn.

For people who are over 21 years old, Brown discussed what the drinking experience is like for those who want to explore the options the taproom offers. 

“You’re given an RF ID card and then you serve yourself, so there’s never a wait,” Brown said. 

Brown added that after ordering food and getting the RF ID card for drinks on tap, the food will arrive at the table from the full-service kitchen and drinks can be refilled at any time from the tap at the customer’s convenience. For those who do not drink, the Plains Taproom offers a variety of sodas, six different kombuchas, juice boxes for kids and more. 

“Bingo came about, more or less, to get people out and to be community involved,” Brown said. 

Brown carried this idea over from another establishment he owns, where he has been holding charity bingo nights for over three years. The Plains Taproom began holding charity bingo nights in July. 

“With the bingo, we will have raffle prizes as well,” Brown said. “The first card is free and every additional card is a dollar.”

Brown said the first three rounds are traditional bingo where all spots covered form a straight line across the board. In the fourth and fifth rounds, the rounds are more challenging as a participant may need to cover their whole card in chips to win the round. 

Raffles will also be held in between rounds, and prizes get bigger as the rounds become more difficult. Prizes range from brewery mugs and doozies to bottles of wine or a gift card.

The Plains Taproom will be supporting the Auburn Student Veterans Association in November. As a veteran, this cause is close to Brown’s heart. 

“With Veteran’s Day being in November, Auburn Student Veterans Association will have the Iron Rock they’ll be doing with the University of Alabama that they do every year,” Brown said. “This year, they’ll do the march from Tuscaloosa to here (Auburn) in memory of the 22 suicides per day that happen with veterans.”

This month, money is being raised for The Power of Will. According to thepowerofwill.org, they “support and enhance the lives of sarcoma patient and their loved ones.” The Plains Taproom has also raised money for the Opelika Police Department, The Exceptional Foundation of East Alabama and Pop Up and Play. 

When it comes to bingo night eats, Fernando Campos, cook at The Plains Taproom, notices increasingly popular items specifically on Wednesday nights.

“A lot more appetizers. Something quick and easy people can eat as they’re playing,” Campos said.

Brown and Campos both emphasized their love for the pretzel bites. Campos recommends dipping them in the beer cheese.

General manager, Matt Doswel, loves to see regular attending every week. He mentioned that increasing the amount of people in attendance at bingo night is important to him so more people can contribute to a local cause. 

Catch bingo at The Plains Taproom on the second and fourth Wednesdays of each month to eat, drink, and support the Auburn community by playing with friends and family in a game of bingo. 

Piper Bosart | Assistant Culture Editor

Piper Bosart, junior in journalism, is the assistant culture editor for The Auburn Plainsman. She has been with The Plainsman since January, 2022.

Share and discuss “The Plains Taproom’s bingo nights support local charities” on social media.