Things to do while in Music City for the Music City Bowl

<p>A view of Nashville, Tenn. on Dec. 29, 2023.&nbsp;</p>

A view of Nashville, Tenn. on Dec. 29, 2023. 

Auburn’s final game of the season, The Music City Bowl, will see many fans traveling to Nashville to watch Auburn play against Maryland on Dec. 30, 2023. While fans expect to enjoy the city for the game, Nashville has much to offer in entertainment and food for guests to enjoy before and after the big game.

Nashville is the capital of Tennessee, but originally it was within the limits of North Carolina in 1784. The land was ceded to the federal government and the area became part of Tennessee in 1796.

Nashville has since grown to be Tennessee’s largest city with an in-city population of 689,447 and a metro population of 2,072,283, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

Along with its rise in population, the city became a hub of musical talent with artists such as Taylor Swift, Lady A (formally Lady Antebellum), Florida Georgia Line and many others discovered in the city's many bars and venues.

No trip to the Music City would be complete without experiencing Nashville's thriving music scene. Here are a few ideas to fill spare time while in town.

The Grand Ole Opry is the birthplace of Nashville’s recognition as the Music City. On the tour, fans can learn about the history of Nashville’s music, see images of the Opry’s history and possibly stand on the stage itself. There is also a backstage daytime tour for $45 or a self-guided tour for $35 per person.

The Hop On and Off Trolley Tour is one way to see over 100 locations around Nashville during a 90-minute ride, allowing riders to get off and back on at various locations across the city. Tickets are available for $53 per person.

The Music City Gaylord resort is located twenty minutes outside of downtown and features an indoor atrium under a 15-story glass dome. Inside, visitors can find a “small southern town,” full-grown trees, a one-third-mile river, restaurants and Christmas decorations adorning the premises. 

The resort also offers a holiday ice sculpture experience based on The Polar Express. Entry to the resort is open to all before noon for free, but after noon visitors will need tickets to one of the resort’s activities to enter. Event ticket prices begin at $27 for children and $38 for adults.

Broadway is a destination that provides plenty of entertainment, food and drink options. Broadway is recommended in Music City to experience Nashville’s vibrant nightlife and rich music culture. Sightseeing along Broadway is free and many restaurants and bars can be found to keep the party going late into the night.

Alongside Nashville’s reputation of being the Music City, it has a rich food and drink scene where many of the city’s stars were discovered.

The Bluebird Cafe is a small bar twenty minutes outside of downtown is located in an old strip mall and has only 90 seats. The bar offers two shows every night and is the location where Garth Brooks was discovered. Due to the bar’s limited space, tickets must be bought in advance.

Pinewood Bar is a unique restaurant-bar-coffee shop-bowling alley-pool combo located on Cumberland River in Nashville’s Trolley Barns housed many of Nashville’s public works until 2008. Visitors can rent a bowling alley lane or sit by the poolside and enjoy the food and drinks offered.

Nashville has high-end dining options as well such as Carne Mare. This restaurant is located in The Gulch, an upscale neighborhood that has seen much development in recent years and sits on the former rail yard that dates back to the pre-civil war era. Reservations begin at $150 per person for the three-course meal.

Assembly food halls are a great option for groups or families who have trouble when deciding what to eat and allow everyone to choose their own flavor. This food hall contains over 30 eateries and bars and in Music City fashion, has three stages for live performances. 

Its location on Broadway makes it an easy to visit for those already sightseeing on Broadway.

Share and discuss “Things to do while in Music City for the Music City Bowl” on social media.