O Grows returns in full bloom for 2024

<p>The community gardens next to the O Grows Farmers Market sporting some vibrant springtime colors on March 16th, 2024.</p>

The community gardens next to the O Grows Farmers Market sporting some vibrant springtime colors on March 16th, 2024.

Opelika Grows, or O Grows, hosted another successful farmers market and gardening activities for locals on Saturday, March 16, from 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. across the street from the Opelika Cultural Arts Center. 

O Grows was founded by Sean Forbes, its executive director, in 2012 at Southview Primary School as a school garden to encourage outdoor education among second-grade students. Over the years, the program continued to flourish.

“We hope that O Grows will continue to adapt and stay relevant to the community,” Forbes said. “As we change programs and adapt a little bit, we can turn towards a different focus.”

About six or seven years after 2012, O Grows moved its garden to its current location and transitioned into a community education program.

“We have regulars who come here with their kids every Saturday,” said Zach Blackburn, the community partnerships manager for O Grows. “We like to get a lot of kids involved. We try to have engaging activities for the kids. Today we’re making dandelion fritters.”

O Grows tries to implement a STEM activity or an educational experience for the children. For activities, locals were able to make dandelion fritters at 9:30 a.m. After making dandelion fritters, O Grows hosted story time at 10 a.m. for the children at the event.

This week’s Saturday at the garden also had bread, eggs, fresh greens, sweets, tea and candles for sale at their market.

“O Grows helped our business with exposure. People know more about our farm than they would from socials,” said Casey Wilson, an owner of The Little Modern Farm.

“We raise chickens, pigs, and ducks on our far,” Wilson said. “We are selling eggs today. These eggs are pasteurized; the egg quality is much better and higher in omega-3s.”

Kevin Copeland, owner of the Mavwick Candle Company, is also a regular O Grows farmers market vendor.

“It’s a good place to sell stuff to good people,” Copeland said. “I make soy wax candles and air fresheners. Everything is completely organic.”

Along with the farmers market and activities, O Grows has a community garden and a greenhouse for individuals to explore.

O Grows’ community garden allows locals to rent plot space. For example, a 4 x 12 bed is about $20 for a year. The plots that do not get rented are used by O Grows for planting and gardening workshops.

O Grows received a grant this year from the Lee County Master Gardeners. This grant allows the program to obtain more gardening supplies and materials. O Grows plans on adding more workshops. A few of the workshops will focus on no-till and straw bale gardening. 

Right now, O Grows is transitioning to spring and summer crops. The program has planted peas and lettuce. O Grows is also about to add tomatoes and peppers too.

“We welcome people to harvest the food O Grows plants,” Blackburn said. “Saturdays are always open harvest days. Whatever food is not harvested is taken to the East Alabama Food Bank.”

Members across the Auburn and Opelika communities are highly involved at O Grows.

“I love that we get to have hands-on experience with the kids and the community,” said Dillen Bertelsen, a junior at Auburn University majoring in elementary special education. “We get to help the kids learn more about the garden and color and do scavenger hunts. It is very applicable to my major.

“This is my way of fellowship with the community,” said Tony Amerson, Police Captain at Opelika’s Police Department. Amerson enjoys spending time in the community garden.

“I like having the opportunity to come out here, meet people, and start up conversations. Conversation nurtures the soul,” Amerson said. The only way we have the chance to live forever is to pass on generational knowledge. O Grows can pass on this knowledge.”

In the fall and spring, O Grows is open on Saturday mornings from 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. In the summer season, O Grows will hold its farmers market on Tuesdays from 3 p.m. – 6 p.m. O Grows allows people of all ages in the Auburn and Opelika communities to grow in fellowship.

Share and discuss “O Grows returns in full bloom for 2024” on social media.