Auburn prevents sweep to snag third conference win

Auburn Baseball defeats Georgia Tech 12-8 at home on April 16th 2024

After losing its seventh SEC series, the Auburn Tigers (21-22, 3-18 SEC) claimed game three 7-5 to prevent being sweept by reigning national champions, LSU (28-17, 7-14 SEC). 

“We needed the win,” junior Parker Carlson said. “We just keep staying in there and keep fighting. We’ve been saying ‘keep fighting’ since I’ve been here, and that’s just how this team rolls. We’re not going to roll over no matter how the season’s going. I’m incredibly proud of each and every one of our guys.”

The Tigers’ offense wasted no time getting on the board, scoring five runs at the top of the first, and maintained their lead till the end. The Bayou Bengals made moves to close the score gap, but the Tigers held them off to secure the win. 

​​“I just think they stayed in the series,” said head coach Butch Thompson. “We did get a freshman starter on the mound against us today and got the starter out in the first. The first two starters got length and got as far as they wanted to. They had to make a change immediately in the ballgame. The bats and the approach were in a better spot today.”

Auburn’s lineup made quick work at the place, collecting seven runs, 13 hits, four doubles and seven RBIs in 38 at-bats. Whereas, LSU had five runs, eight hits – one double and one home run – and five RBIs. 

Going 2-for-4 in the batter’s box, second baseman Caden Green led Auburn’s offense with two doubles and three RBIs, as left fielder Cade Belyeu and catcher Carter Wright followed his lead. Belyeu and Wright added four runs, five hits and four RBIs to the stat sheet. 

“The guys started the game off strong and set the tone early, just getting the barrel out,” Green said. “My approach was super simple. I was trying to hit the ball the other way but just ran into it, so we’ll take it.”

Thompson’s pitching staff had a solid afternoon on the bump. Facing 38 total batters, Auburn’s bullpen collected six strikeouts and four walks, allowing only eight hits and four runs. 

LHP Carson Myers started for the Tigers and pitched four innings. Holding LSU to two scoreless frames, Myers logged one strikeout and one walk, allowing five hits and four runs. 

RHP John Armstrong relieved Myers at the bottom of the fifth, earning the win. Pitching one inning, Armstrong recorded two strikeouts and one walk and allowed only one hit. 

RHP Will Cannon took over the bump in the sixth, pitching one inning. Cannon had two walks and one strikeout with one hit and one run. 

RHP Carlson pitched the final three innings to earn the save. Facing 10 total batters, Carlson contributed two strikeouts with no walks and just one hit. 

“Parker Carlson, that was one of those (Blake) Burkhalter games,” Thompson said. “He’s been working through guys and working through others and pitching well for a while. He got placed as that guy and was able to get to the finish line today.”

The Tigers won’t have a midweek matchup before their three-game series against the Ole Miss Rebels (23-20, 7-14 SEC). The series opener is set for Friday, May 3, at 6 p.m. CST and will be broadcast on the SEC Network+ and locally on Wings 94.3 FM. 

Caitlyn Griffin | Sports Reporter

Caitlyn Griffin is a sophomore from Huntsville, Alabama, majoring in journalism. She started with The Plainsman in fall 2022. 

Twitter: @caitlyngrif99

Share and discuss “Auburn prevents sweep to snag third conference win” on social media.