Dylan Cardwell announces return to Auburn for 5th season

Dylan Cardwell finishes off a dunk in the late minutes of the SEC Tournament Finals on March 17, 2024

Known for his football fandom and play on the court, Auburn men’s basketball center Dylan Cardwell announced he will return to the Plains for his final year of eligibility on his personal social media accounts this afternoon. 

Cardwell celebrated his senior night on March 9, 2024, after arriving on campus from Augusta, Georgia in time for the 2020 season. He will stay on the roster as a graduate student for his fifth season at Auburn. 

Averaging 14.7 minutes off the bench this season, Cardwell posted career-high numbers, including points (5.3), assists (1.2) and blocks (1.6) per game. His 1.6 blocks per game resulted in his finishing fifth in the SEC in total blocks with 56. 

Cardwell also significantly contributed to the Tigers' run to the SEC Tournament championship, averaging 14.6 minutes per game off the bench in Nashville, Tennessee. He scored six points per game, 3.6 rebounds and 3.6 blocks while shooting 70% from the field in the three-game span.  

The senior center recorded a career-high 12 points in Auburn’s 101-74 win at Missouri on March 5, 2024.

With the uncertainty surrounding Johni Broome’s decision to return, Bruce Pearl and his staff were able to keep a crucial piece of their rotation from the season. 

Craig Noyes | Sports Writer

Craig Noyes is a junior from Kensington, Maryland, majoring in journalism. He joined The Plainsman in January 2023.

Twitter: @craignoyes58

Share and discuss “Dylan Cardwell announces return to Auburn for 5th season” on social media.