Beekeeper gives lessons on community, sustainability and respect for nature

Community and sustainability are certainly buzzwords these days. For beekeepers like T. Scott Robinson, maintaining a healthy colony of bees is a daily lesson in community involvement and sustainable production.
"It all plays a part and everything is connected," said Robinson, leaning against his green pick-up truck. "Every bee has a job to do, just like a community."
According to Robinson, working with bees gave him a different perspective.
"That's one thing that I've felt overwhelmed by. Once you start dealing things with in nature--God's creation--you start to realize how interconnected things are. It's a blessing," Robinson said.
Tall and lean with electric blue eyes, Robinson is soft-spoken and prone to marvel at the simplistic genius of nature.
Robinson rolled up his right sleeve to reveal deep purple bruising and explained his wincing handshake.
"I'm kinda gimpy with this right arm all jacked up," Robinson said.
The pain from a recent skiing accident, which will require surgery, did not prevent Robinson from climbing on top of a raised platform to extract a frame from a stack of wooden boxes called "supers" that encased a hive of bees.
The colony was one of the very first Robinson extracted from a church in Uchee, Ala., seven years ago and relocated.
"Yeah, y'all probably want to back up and we'll see how they react," Robinson said through the netting of his protective veil.
Bees hummed around Robinson's head as he produced the frame, which was crawling with more honey bees.
"They're not aggressive as long as you respect them," Robinson said, pointing a gloved finger at a bee furiously stabbing his veil. "Like this one. This one is aggravated."
Robinson replaced the frame with a soft "Alright, girls," as if soothing fussy children.
According to Robinson, honey bees are mild-mannered compared to their Africanized honey-bee relatives, better known as killer bees, and are selective about stinging.
Robinson explained bees serve an important function in sustainable farming and that beekeepers are often called to facilitate pollination in orchards or farms.
"My part in all this is I'm trying to promoting beekeeping and understanding, so that when people see a bee, it's not an enemy," Robinson said. "It's actually so important to our economy."
After picking up beekeeping as a hobby, Robinson began giving demonstrations for 4-H clubs, the Boy Scouts and local elementary schools.
Annually, Robinson shares his knowledge at The Great Grown-Up Spelling Bee, held by the East Alabama Chapter of the Public Relations Council of Alabama at the Saugahatchee Country Club in July, and which benefits the Lee County Literacy Coalition.
Not only are bees important for pollination, the honey they produce is a natural allergy remedy.
According to Robinson and fellow beekeeper Mike Ellenberger, who befriended Robinson during a Saugahatchee Beekeepers Association meeting, local honey exposes the immune system to allergens in the area capable of preventing or easing the agony of seasonal allergies.
"It's amazing," Robinson said. "But I've already noticed three different types of pollen: one is a bright orange, one is a grey and one is yellow. Already this early in the season, we have things in bloom and that's why people are noticing their allergies."
Auburn coffee shop, Wake Up Coffee Company, stands by local beekeepers.
Recognizing both the health benefits and the community support local honey provides, owner Wade Preston is always on the look-out for nearby apiaries.
"We want to source local products and local honey's great," Preston said. "We currently source honey out of Odenville, but we're looking to get some that's even more local."
Despite their reputation for stinging, Ellenberger said bees provide numerous perks to the community.
"They're very much beneficial insects," Ellenberger said. "There are other benefits that people don't think about. There's pollen production and wax production for candle-making."
As winter retreats, the coming months will prove to be a test of the hives' strength.
"It's a fine dance between a good honey-producing season and a bad one," Robinson said. "It's really contingent on what Mother Nature is giving us."
However, Robinson is confident in his hive.
A good bloodline is as important in a colony of bees as it is in a monarchy and he has spent years cultivating this particular group.
Those inspired to try their hand at beekeeping or learn more about the profession can contact the Opelika Extension Agency or the Saugahatchee Beekeepers Association.
According to Robinson and Ellenberger, the lessons learned from beekeeping could be valuable for positive civic and personal growth.
"In the short period of time that I've spent with this one insect, I've learned about community, self-awareness, and respect to nature," Robinson said.

Share and discuss “Beekeeper gives lessons on community, sustainability and respect for nature” on social media.