Opelika shines as Alabama's only city with a fiber optic network

false

(Raye May | Photo Editor)
(Raye May | Photo Editor)

Google made headlines when they unveiled fiber optic Internet service for cities, such as Kansas City, Missouri and Austin, Texas. Chattanooga, Tennessee styled itself the "Gig City" after building its own fiber optic network. But in Alabama, Opelika has quietly built its own high-tech fiber optic network.
In 2008, the city-owned Opelika Power Services (OPS), then called Opelika Light and Power, began looking to upgrade its power lines to the new smart grid technology. Meanwhile, Opelika's Mayor Gary Fuller was trying to get Internet providers to invest in more broadband in the city.
It soon became clear the new technology for the power company could provide the type of high-speed internet residents wanted, according to June Owens, manager of marketing and communications at OPS.
"When the utility company already owns the poles, it cuts a lot of cost for doing something like this," Owens said. "It just made sense."
Today, residents of Opelika can decide if they want Internet, television and phone service from the traditional cable company, the traditional phone company or from the power company - a third option many cities in the country don't have.
Opelika used Chattanooga as a model to build their network. However, unlike Chattanooga, which offers 1 gigabit per second internet service for $70 a month, OPS offers 1 gigabit per second for $500 per month.
"At some point in time, we hope we'll be able to do like Chattanooga did and offer it to everyone for 70 bucks a month when we get enough customers," Owens said.
However, fiber does offer a benefit that cable companies don't match currently: the ability to have symmetrical upload and download speeds. OPS's 60 megabits per second package is priced to be competitive with the other internet service providers in Opelika, according to Owens.
"Being a city-owned business they (the customers) are owners of this thing," said David Horton, director of OPS. "Response from the community has been great."
OPS was created when Opelika bought a private power company that powered the city's street lights in 1911.
Field service manager Terry Coxwell said the change from being an electric utility company to a more competitive television and Internet provider has been a good move for OPS.
"Citizens didn't really have a choice with what power they have, but now with the data services they have an option," Coxwell said. "Being part of the community we can provide services at a fair market price and excel in customer service."

Share and discuss “Opelika shines as Alabama's only city with a fiber optic network” on social media.