Student-athletes thankful for FCA experience

Jonathan Wallace (Raye May | Photo Editor)

Since 1954, the Fellowship of Christian Athletes has been influencing the lives of players and coaches around the country.
Whether it's at the youth level, high school, college or the pros, the voluntary organization had challenged athletes of all sports to live by the values of integrity, teamwork, community service and devotion to Jesus Christ through weekly "huddle" meetings.
Randy Roberts, former All-American football player at Morehouse University, has served as Auburn's FCA assistant director since his arrival at the University eight years ago.
"The FCA is designed for people to ultimately grow in their walk with God," Roberts said. "It's not just us leaders or staff people that are guiding the ministry. It's students who are having a big part in the direction that we take and the influence that we have. It's a neat experience that a lot of people get to be a part of."
The FCA has been on Auburn University's campus for over 50 years, and student-athletes like senior quarterback Jonathan Wallace and sophomore runner Samantha Berggren continue to further its legacy.
"I got involved with the FCA as a freshman when a kind upperclassmen friend of mine invited me to join them on a Monday night," Berggren said. "After that first night, I was hooked and I wanted to come back. Through my first year, I got to develop meaningful relationships with several people and I eventually was encouraged to join the FCA leadership team."
Wallace describes the FCA as a "lively, transparent and honest" group of people searching for direction. After being involved with the FCA throughout high school, Wallace once again turned into the organization to build stability.
"FCA has given my life structure and purpose," Wallace said. "The way I handle situations in my life has been influenced by what I have come to learn in FCA. You see, we all have trials and adversity in our lives and the only way that I have been able to get through those times is by talking it out with my FCA family."
Because of the closeness of its members, the FCA provides an outlet for student-athletes to express themselves in ways they may not be able to anywhere else on a college campus.
"We share personal stories with each other to help one another," Wallace said. "We always bring up the fact that there are some things that everyone has possibly gone through in their life at some point and if you are able to connect with those people who have experienced some of those tragedies or trials, then they can more than likely help you through it. That is what I love most about FCA. We use our experiences to help others. We may not always have the answer, but we will do our best to love and support anyone the best way we know how."
Berggren has also been able to find herself through her FCA experience.
"Through several topics during our Monday night huddles, I have learned the valuable lesson of finding my identity in Christ and not in my sport," Berggren said. "Having learned this, it has helped me to see track and field as a blessing and a privilege rather than a burden. FCA has helped me develop the mindset of 'the bigger picture.' It helps being able to see the value of things in my life, seeing that afflictions are merely temporary and that God has an ultimate plan for my life that is unfolding at a rate that he finds fit."
Although the organization is promoted for athletes, its doors are open to any student on campus looking to be part of it.
"What we want the Auburn family to realize is that just because we are labeled as a fellowship of Christian 'athletes,' we want all believers to feel welcome because we all serve the same God," Berggren said, "We have several regular attendees who are considered non-athletes, but as far as we're concerned, if you are on Team Jesus, we want you there."
As a student-athlete at a major school, the spotlight can cause some to lose sight on what's really important. With so much to appreciate, the FCA provides students and athletes with an experience they can truly be thankful for.
"Without my relationship with Christ and the relationships that I had with friends and FCA members that kept me accountable, I would not be on the path that I am today," Wallace said. "My relationship with Christ created accountability that put purpose, honesty and trust in my life. It has made me think twice about my actions and I take responsibility for the actions I decide to make. It is not easy. It never has been easy, but one thing I cannot do is give up or give in."

Share and discuss “Student-athletes thankful for FCA experience” on social media.