Jason Dufner Charitable Foundation sets events for March

false

<p>PGA champion, Jason Dufner accepting an award. Sarah May / ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR</p>

PGA champion, Jason Dufner accepting an award. Sarah May / ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR

For the second consecutive year, former Auburn golfer and current PGA professional Jason Dufner is teaming up with Blessings in a Backpack to feed less fortunate children in Lee County.
Jason Dufner's Charitable Foundation is hosting its second annual Celebrity Golf Classic March 23 at Moore's Mill Club, and its inaugural Dufner Dash and Bash starting at the ALFA Pavillion at Auburn University on March 20.
The Dash and Bash will consist of a 5K and one-mile fun run starting at 6:30 p.m., followed by a free community block party at 7:30 p.m. The block party will have live entertainment, concessions and games.
The Celebrity Golf Classic will have teams of four, including one celebrity who participants will bid for before the event, with all proceeds going to the Blessings in a Backpack program.
Dufner and his wife Amanda started their charity in 2009. Amanda discovered Blessings in a Backpack, which feeds underprivileged children who qualify for the free and reduced lunch program on weekends.
"Amanda first found out about Blessings in a Backpack through the PGA Tour Wives' Association," Dufner said. "She participated in some events they hosted around the country and was impressed with the impact it had on families and communities. There wasn't anything like that here in our area, and once we learned about the need and the number of kids who needed help here, it was an easy decision."
Last year, the Celebrity Golf Classic raised $160,000 to feed Lee County children. Bonnie Upright, senior vice president of Olympus Foundation Management, praised the community's contribution to the event and the foundation.
"The inaugural golf classic was amazing," Upright said. "With a first year event, you never know quite what to expect, but the Auburn community and Opelika community have been amazing in their support. We're not surprised that everyone jumped on board, because the Auburn community is so terrific and such a generous community."
Though it was the first year, Dufner said he knew the people of Auburn would team up to help his foundation's cause.
"The money we raised showed how generous and giving this community is," Dufner said. "As an Auburn grad, I've always known how special it is and the results of the tournament were a great example of that."
Dufner said he hopes with the added exposure and success of last year's event, his foundation can feed more children this year.
"We definitely hope this year's tournament can help us add even more kids to our program," Dufner said. "Right now, we provide food to about 1,000 kids every weekend, but there are another 1,500 more here in Lee County who need our help. So we've got a little ways to go, but we're confident that once people learn more about the issue of child hunger, and see the impact it has on the kids here in the Auburn area, that people will want to join us and help."

Share and discuss “Jason Dufner Charitable Foundation sets events for March” on social media.