Philanthropy course teaches all ages how to handle money

The Halliday-Cary-Pick House was built in the 1940s and is now home to the national headquarters of the Cary Center for the Advancement of Philanthropy and Nonprofit Studies, the only of its kind in the country.

The Halliday-Cary-Pick House is where the Women’s Philanthropy Board was founded in 2002, when June Henton, dean of the College of Human Sciences, noticed women were outliving men and becoming primary finance owners with no idea how to manage finances.

“The WPB was created to educate, enable and empower individuals to achieve financial and philanthropic independence, to develop full leadership potential and to serve as mentors for future generations, and finance basic human sciences,” said Sidney James, executive director of the Cary Center and WPB.

The Cary Center has programs for children of all ages, with activities ranging from summer camps for children from ages 6-12, and programs for students and older community members.

Melanie Smith, graduate assistant in adult education and member of WPB, said WPB strives to help women learn everything there is to know about finance, as well as how to wisely donate to philanthropic works.

“We teach women everything from how to save, how to plan for retirement, what types of insurance to buy, how to get out of debt and avoid gaining debt and how to practice philanthropy whether you have $5 in your pocket or $5 million,” Smith said.

The WPB has no budget, and all salaries and expenses come solely from the money they raise for philanthropic dollars.

“We strive to educate the next generation of non-profit and philanthropic leaders,” Smith said.

Most of the students working with WPB are human sciences majors and minors in philanthropy and non-profit studies, since Auburn only offers that as a minor.

This is the first year the Cary Center is offering a study abroad program that will send students to Peru, something James said she is excited about.

“It will be a life-changing experience,” James said. “Students will study aspects of Peruvian society, with a special emphasis on social society. They will immerse themselves in the culture and learn about philanthropy in a foreign country.”

Along with the Peru abroad program is another improvement in the Cary Center — the opening of a new Phils branch of WPB, which is targeted at men.

Painter Sharpless, senior in interdisciplinary studies with an emphasis on business and communication, has been involved with the Student Philanthropy Board since high school and said he is excited to be a part of Phils.

“I would like for our generation to be aware of the effect philanthropy can have on a community on a large or small scale,” Sharpless said. “I would like for people to come to Auburn thinking about how they can further their education and also give back to the community.”

Sharpless and Smith said they share a love of working with others who love giving back.

“My favorite thing about teaching people about philanthropy is you really get to see where their heart lies,” Smith said. “Even with kids all the way to donors, you can watch their philanthropic passions and interests play to what they’re doing.” 

Share and discuss “Philanthropy course teaches all ages how to handle money” on social media.