Auburn ready to do battle with Louisville

A year ago, coach Gus Malzahn and his Auburn Tigers were preparing for Arkansas, gearing up to repeat the astounding success they had in 2013 that ended in an appearance in the BCS National Championship Game. 

But for the latter half of 2014, Auburn couldn't get out of its own way. Losses to Texas A&M, Georgia, Alabama and Wisconsin put a damper in what was once a promising season. 

This year, however, brings a handful of fresh faces and a renewed sense of urgency. At the forefront of that change is new defensive coordinator Will Muschamp, who returned to the Plains in December after coaching at Florida. Muschamp, who was Auburn's defensive coordinator in 2006 and 2007, was asked what is different about his time in Auburn this time around.

"We're scoring more points on offense," said Muschamp, who has never been one to mince words.

Months of learning and installing Muschamp's defensive scheme along with perfecting Malzahn's have led the Tigers to this weekend, where they'll play in Atlanta in the Chick-Fil-A Kickoff Game against Bobby Petrino and the Louisville Cardinals.

Auburn returns to Atlanta for the first time since December of 2013, when the Tigers captured their 12th conference title. This time, a new face will be in the backfield taking snaps.

Junior Jeremy Johnson will be under center after backing up Nick Marshall, who is now in the NFL as a cornerback with the Jacksonville Jaguars. Johnson, who was named the starter in the spring, has all the support in the world from his coach.

"We feel like he's prepared," Malzahn said. "I know he's to the point where he's tired of everybody talking about him, predicting this. He just wants to get out there and play. He wants to prove himself. I think he's in a very good spot mentally right now going into his first game."

Johnson's first start won't be easy. Louisville's defense ranked sixth in the nation in total defense, allowing only 293 yards per game in the ACC. Sheldon Rankins, the Cardinals' best defensive lineman, anchors a line that is one of the more potent in the country. Rankins, who was named to the preseason All-ACC team, racked up 53 tackles and eight sacks last year. 

"He looks really similar, to me, on tape as some of those d-tackles from Florida State that we went up against in [the BCS National Championship Game]," Kozan said. "We're definitely going to have to bring it against him every play. He's got a nonstop motor, and he's a good player."

With Malzahn's track record, however, it's a safe bet that the Tigers will have a few tricks up their sleeve to combat the Cardinals.

On defense, Muschamp will have to get his team prepared to face one of three quarterbacks, as Louisville coach Bobby Petrino is yet to name a starter. Petrino has a knack for developing phenomenal gameplans with an extended time to prepare, and he has been able to prepare for Auburn since December. 

Auburn remains a 10.5-point favorite heading into Saturday, but with these two brilliant offensive minds going at it, it's more likely that this will be a hotly contested game, one where Johnson might have to prove himself on day one.

Share and discuss “Auburn ready to do battle with Louisville” on social media.