Barber breaks free against San Jose State

Auburn broke its two-game losing streak Saturday against San Jose State thanks to a successful run game for sophomore Peyton Barber.

Barber had five rushing touchdowns against the Spartans, the most by an Auburn player since Carnell Williams' six vs. Mississippi State in 2003.

"This is something that I've been waiting on," said Barber. "When I feel myself getting tired I just tell myself to keep moving forward."

Barber's longest rushing yards came in the second half on a 36-yard touchdown rush, the longest by an Auburn running back this season. His 147 rushing yards were a career-high and mark his fourth game this season to reach over 100 yards.

"As the game goes on I feel like I continue to get stronger," said Barber. "It was definitely a critical win that we needed."

Coach Gus Malzahn planned on making Barber the key to the game. The Tigers prepared for adverse weather conditions and didn't feel the need to throw the ball. 

"They knew that (Barber) was probably going to run the football," Malzahn said.

The improving offensive line was credited for Barber's impact in the fourth quarter, as it found a way for the running back to make the right moves and punch in when called for. The sophomore holds similar qualities to that of Cameron Artis-Payne in terms of tenacity and considering the importance of the game, Malzahn noted.

Barber is satisfied with reaching the end zone five times this game. Though he felt preparation was the same, the recognition is a confidence booster. The numbers he puts up match with other top SEC running backs such as Nick Chubb and Leonard Fournette, and "I've always been the underdog," Barber said. "It's nothing new to me."

The offense will continue down the road of "just really making our mark and showing that we're a downhill team," Barber said.

Auburn has a star of its own, with the bye week coming up, improvements will be made and Barber will get the opportunity to rest up for another SEC match against the Kentucky Wildcats on Oct. 15.

Share and discuss “Barber breaks free against San Jose State” on social media.