Life lessons on the soccer field with Hamm, Lilly and Venturini-Hoch

Kendall Simmons, retired NFL football guard and former Auburn football player, saw something in his three daughters after they attended Team First's training academy last year in Birmingham that made him push for the academy to be held in Auburn. 

Team First training academy had a successful first day, Feb. 6, in Auburn at the Auburn Soccer Complex on Wire Road. Team First was founded by U.S. soccer stars Mia Hamm, Kristine Lilly and Tisha Venturini-Hoch.

Hamm, two-time Olympic gold medalist and Women's World Cup winner, returned to Alabama, her birth state, to share her love for soccer and training. According to Hamm, Venturini-Hoch and Lilly were coaching clinics before her when they begun discussing combining their efforts. 

"We got to talking about the opportunity to give back and share our love for the game, and this is what we came up with," Hamm said. 

The same lessons Simmons learned from his time in the pros are embodied in the coaches training. Those participating are being taught to work as hard as they can to grow on a personal level, but the overall goal is to develop solid teamwork, Simmons said.

He said he found the team leaders to be energetic and encouraging during the Birmingham event last year, and he is thrilled to have them in Auburn. According to Simmons, his daughters were fired up about soccer and more determined to improve their skills after two short days with Hamm, Lilly and Venturini-Hoch. 

All three coaches said the purpose of the camp is for children to escape their comfort zones, try new things and grasp the idea that having fun is OK. In the spirit of having fun, attendees are broken up by age group and given the task to develop a team cheer and country to represent. "I believe that we will win!" rang from the group circles as they rallied for warmup. 

Lilly, retired women's professional soccer and United States women's national soccer team player, was inspired and pushed to excel by her older brother of 4 years. Lilly said she believes the best thing anyone could be is a role model. 

"We love the game," Lilly said. "The game has given us so much, and we want to give back. To leave and know that one kid smiled because of you is the best feeling." 

The coaches love to see motivated students who are ready to learn and tackle new ideas and skills. This characteristic is valuable on the field, Hamm said. 

"Coaches are invested and ready to motivate their players, but if they see that they are the ones that have to motivate you every day, at some point they just can't do it," Hamm said. "You have to be intrinsically motivated or you won't last."

This motivation carried over into many areas of the coaches lives. Venturini-Hoch, Olympic gold medalist and FIFA Women's World Cup champion, was involved in dance, drama and music. She played the saxophone and the drums, as well as many other sports. 

"The person I am now depended on how I spent my time," Venturini-Hoch said. "If you can get your hands on as many different hobbies and activities as you can, nothing's stopping you from what you can do and explore." 

Hamm, Lilly and Venturini-Hoch have been able to explore many small towns through Team First. So far they have been to Alaska, California, South Carolina and other venues around the U.S. 

All three coaches grew up in small towns and enjoy meeting locals when they travel. Working with the local soccer players and Hamm and Lilly is an amazing experience in itself, Venturini-Hoch said.

At the end of each camp, a child is selected for the Team First Award. According to Venturini-Hoch, the award is given to a player with an upbeat and positive attitude that stood out during training. 

"We aren't just teaching a game here, that's what it takes in life ... you got to be a good person," Venturini-Hoch said. 

Share and discuss “Life lessons on the soccer field with Hamm, Lilly and Venturini-Hoch” on social media.