Auburn falls in championship series finale, 'wouldn't have it any other way'

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Last season, the Auburn softball team ended their WCWS taste test. The Tigers merely got to dabble in the full experience of Oklahoma City before being put out by Florida in game 11. This year, Auburn got their spoonful.

The Tigers advanced to the championship round for the first time in school history, forcing game three against the Oklahoma Sooners (57-8) after a tremendous walk off on Tuesday night to turn the page in their championship story. 

"We were picked, I believe, sixth to finish in the SEC - we won it," said Myers. "We lost to Arizona. People said we couldn't come back - we beat them twice. Heart, character, relentless pursuit of excellence. We lost the first game to Oklahoma, we come back extra innings and beat Oklahoma. We came up one run short."

Oklahoma's Paige Parker earned Most Outstanding Player, allowing one run on five hits with one walk and five strikeouts to defeat Auburn 2-1. The sophomore closed the season with 252.1 innings, a 1.64 ERA and 37-3 record.

The Sooners lead off with a single and put a run on the board via Emily Carosone error. Oklahoma reached home again on a Fale Aviu single to close the first inning with a 2-0 lead.

Jade Rhodes knocked a solo home run down the left field line in the fourth to cut the score in half, but that would be all for the Tigers. 

Madi Gipson struck out in the top of the seventh and Whitney Jordan followed with a fly out to center. Pinch hitter Courtney Shea came in hoping to bring Auburn back in their usual tight spot, but was unable to make the most of a strong nine pitch battle against Parker.

"We got them to the third game and most people didn't even think that was going to happen," said Rhodes. "I wouldn't want it any other way." 

Makayla Martin tossed a complete game for Auburn with five hits, two runs, two walks and one strikeout in 98 pitches. She finishes 13-3 with two saves and a 1.57 ERA in 116 innings. Auburn completes the season 58-12, bidding adieu to nine seniors, including   Rhodes, Tiffany Howard and Carosone. 

Carosone, Howard, Martin, Kasey Cooper and Rhodes were selected to the All-Tournament team.

"It's the happiest time of the year and the saddest time of the year," said Carosone. "There's always a loser and there's always a winner and I think Oklahoma deserves it."

Share and discuss “Auburn falls in championship series finale, 'wouldn't have it any other way'” on social media.