Johnson earns All-American honors

Recently graduated Auburn men's golfer Michael Johnson has been named a Golfweek first-team All-American and a PING second-team All-American following a senior year that saw him win program record breaking three tournaments and break the single season scoring average school record at 70.37.

A semifinalist for the Ben Hogan and Jack Nicklaus Awards, Johnson becomes Auburn’s seventh All-American under head coach Nick Clinard and only the fifth first-team member in school history joining Buddy Gardner, Chris Spratlin, Ian Steel and Blayne Barber.

Johnson, who was also named first-team All-SEC and PING All-Southeastern Region, is the second consecutive All-American along with rising junior Ben Schlottman earning honorable mention All-America honors last season.

“Michael had an outstanding season and a great end to a fantastic career at Auburn,” Clinard said. “He’s a very gifted player that has really developed his game while at Auburn and he will be an excellent pro. Big things are ahead for this young man.”

Johnson won medalist honors at the Primland Collegiate, Mobile Sports Authority Intercollegiate and Schenkel Invitational and was ranked No. 1 by GolfWeek for a majority of the season. His five career wins are second only to Jimmy Green for most in school history while his 70.37 stroke average ranked second in the SEC and sixth nationally this season.

Johnson is currently in Formby, England, where he will compete in the Arnold Palmer Cup as a member of Team USA Friday through Sunday. 

Share and discuss “Johnson earns All-American honors” on social media.