Alabama third party chairs weigh in on the election

In one of the most divisive modern-era election seasons, third-party candidates are playing an important part. Many Americans are hesitant about voting for Hillary Clinton, the Democratic nominee, or Donald Trump, the Republican nominee. Polls conducted have estimated over 50 percent of Americans view Clinton unfavorably and over 60 percent of Americans view Trump unfavorably.

“If you look at [the Democratic and Republican candidates], you see Hillary Clinton who is beset with scandal, who’s your typical corporate establishment politician,” Alabama Green Party Chair Tyler Henderson said. “And on the other end you have a histrionic bigot like Donald Trump.”

According to RealClearPolitics, in a four-way race, Gary Johnson, the Libertarian Party candidate, is polling at an average of 6 percent, and the Green Party’s Jill Stein is polling at an average of 2.2 percent.

Both Johnson and his running mate, Bill Weld, have Republican backgrounds. Johnson was elected governor of New Mexico as a Republican, and Weld served as governor of Massachusetts as a Republican. The Republican and Libertarian parties differ mostly when it comes to social issues.

Central to the libertarian philosophy is the idea of minimal government interference, and Leigh LaChine, chair of the Libertarian Party of Alabama, said Johnson is dedicated to just that.

“I think [Johnson’s] our only true small-government candidate,” he said.

Johnson pledges to end the “war on drugs,” to cut government spending and to reduce taxes.

Stein, on the other hand, is a candidate whose platform includes a plan to forgive student debt and the Green New Deal, an initiative to reform the country’s energy industry.

While these sound like views that could be held by a Democrat, Henderson made his aversion toward the Democratic Party clear.

“We are not a junior partner of the Democrats, nor are we junior partners of any Democratic politician,” he said.

Henderson claimed Democratic politicians often use social movements solely for political gain and are too entangled with corporate interests, while the Green Party focuses more on helping common people.

To Henderson, Stein and the party represent a push toward more progressive politics driven by a younger population.

“Here in Alabama, I view the Green Party as not the successor, but the defeater of the Democratic Party,” he said.

A reoccurring complaint among third-party supporters is that they do not receive the amount of media coverage the Democratic and Republican parties do. LaChine said he believes if the party got the same amount of attention, Johnson would be polling right alongside Clinton and Trump.

“It’s amazing how many people, when you tell them there is a third choice, say, ‘I didn’t know that,’” he said.

If Johnson or Stein can get 5 percent of the popular vote come Nov. 8, their respective party will become eligible for federal election funds and automatically have a spot on the ballot in future elections.

“We got 1 percent of the vote [in 2012]. I think we’re going to do a lot better this time,” LaChine said. “I’d be shocked if we didn’t get 5 to 10 percent nationally.”

LaChine said he doubts Johnson will win through the Electoral College, but said the party is hoping neither Clinton nor Trump get the 270 electoral votes needed to secure a victory. If this is the case, the House of Representatives would be the decider. The House currently has a Republican majority, but given the GOP’s split feelings toward Trump, a victory in this scenario isn’t guaranteed for him.

“Anything could happen in the House,” LaChine said.

Johnson and Stein did not qualify this year for the presidential debates, as they did not meet a 15 percent national polling average. In 2012, the two participated in their own one-on-one debate. They have not held one this year.

Henderson said while their core economic beliefs “could not be any more different,” he views the Libertarian Party and the Green Party “as allies in the struggle to break the third-party system,” and would welcome another debate between the two.

LaChine said he too would welcome another debate, as long as the media covered it.

Both Henderson and LaChine said they are currently accepting volunteers.

Share and discuss “Alabama third party chairs weigh in on the election” on social media.