President Gogue discusses his time at Auburn, impending retirement

President Jay Gogue has been a university president for almost 17 years.

He served as President of New Mexico State University from 2000 to 2003 and chancellor of the University of Houston System and president of the University of Houston from 2003 to 2007.

Since 2007, he has been the president of Auburn University.

"It's been a great ride," Gogue said to The Plainsman.

He announced his impending retirement at September's Board of Trustees meeting.

"It's probably time. You know, you get old, and you get cantankerous," Gogue joked.

He wanted to give the Board of Trustees an ample amount of time to search for a new president, Gogue said.

The walls in Gogue's office are lined with books. He looks forward to doing more of what he loves most after retirement: reading. 

"I haven't had much time to read for pleasure," Gogue said. "After I left Auburn and went to work, I probably read 30 books a year. I look forward to free time to read more. I look forward to continue to learn."

Gogue's time with the University won't end with his retirement. He plans to stay in the area and said he might even come back and teach a few classes — throughout his career he's taught a variety of courses, from literature to engineering.

Out of all the universities Gogue has been involved with, he believes Auburn students are most concerned with outreach.

"Students here are more engaged with out of class activities and concern for the community and developing countries around the world," Gogue said. "It's really impressive to see. I think some of those experiences are what make Auburn people a little bit unique."

Read next week's issue to read more from President Gogue's interview. 

Share and discuss “President Gogue discusses his time at Auburn, impending retirement” on social media.