Polar Plunge for Special Olympics set for this month

Auburn’s fifth annual Polar Plunge will be raising money to support the Lee County Special Olympics on Saturday, Jan. 28 at the Samford swimming pool behind Auburn Junior High School.

The fundraiser began five years ago as a small event at his backyard pool where 18 people raised $4,000, according to Ryan Molt, the Auburn City league sports coordinator. The event has grown consistently every year, with last year’s polar plunge having 105 participants who raised over $12,000.

Molt said he hopes to raise even more money for this year’s plunge.

“We’re just hoping to get people out there for a great cause,” Molt said. “The best thing about it is all of the money is going directly to Lee County Special Olympics so you know that money is going toward kids in our area.”

A costume contest for the plungers will also be held at the event, with gift cards being awarded to the top three best costumes. The event begins at 9 a.m.

Bailey Cofield, a student studying rehabilitation and disabilities at Auburn University, dressed up as a cupcake and raised the most money for the plunge last year. Cofield said she raised over $1,000 by getting friends and family to sponsor her jump.

“I have a lot of friends that are involved in the Special Olympics, and I wanted to show them that I support them beyond the sidelines,” Cofield said. “It really does mean a lot to show the athletes that you care about them.”

The Draft House will host a sponsorship day for the 2017 Polar Plunge on Thursday, Jan. 19, where 20 percent of every sale that day will go toward the plunge. An after-plunge party will also be held at the Draft House following the event.

T-shirts will be given to the participants by RW Tees on the day of the plunge.

Share and discuss “Polar Plunge for Special Olympics set for this month” on social media.