Float-N-Movie series kicks off with 'Atlantis: The Lost Empire'

Float-N-Movie kicked off their first of the season on Thursday with "Atlantis: The Lost Empire" in honor of World Oceans Day at Samford Pool. 

Hosted by the Parks and Recreation Department, Thursday's event was the first of many movies locals can come and enjoy while relaxing in the pool. Doors opened at 8:15 p.m. with admission set at $2 per person or free with a Splash Pass. 

Guests are encouraged to bring their own chairs and pool floats. 

"I think it is just a fun concept, we really don't think about watching movies in a pool, so it's something fun and different because normally these types of floats aren't allowed at city pools," said Whitney Morris, aquatics and special events coordinator for the Auburn-Opelika Tourism Bureau. 

Guests of all ages could be seen lounging in chairs, enjoying snacks from the concession stand and floating in the pool -- one guest even brought an inflatable swan. 

Danielle Ruffin brought her 10-year-old niece to the Float-N-Movie.

"We actually heard about this on Facebook, and she loves to swim," Ruffin said. "It's nice to have something fun for her to do in the summer like this." 

Not only will the Float-N-Movie feature family friendly movies but they will also incorporate a teen movie night Morris said.

"I think the important thing for us this summer was to not just appeal to young children," Morris said. "We want to reach a bigger demographic where parents and college kids can come and enjoy this."

Movies often are picked in correlation with whatever is happening during that time. There will be a special film in connection with Independence Day and a few surprise movies later this summer. 

Interested guests are encouraged to follow the Auburn Parks and Rec's social media account or visit auburnalabma.org/pools to learn more. 

Share and discuss “Float-N-Movie series kicks off with 'Atlantis: The Lost Empire'” on social media.