New performing arts center to be named after retiring president, first lady

John and Rosemary Brown were inspired by Jay and Susie Gogue's passion for the arts and in turn, committed $25 million of their $57 million gift to Auburn to the construction of a work-class performing arts center. 

"Jay and Susie believe strongly in the transformative power of the arts," said Jane DiFolco Parker, vice president for development and president of the Auburn University Foundation. "It is fitting that this new facility be named in recognition of their vision for a center that will establish the university as a culturally minded institution."

In honor of the Gogues' service and passion, The Board of Trustees approved the decision to name the center after the  retiring president and first lady. 

The Jay and Susie Gogue Performing Arts Center is set to open in 2019 after the project broke ground in October. 

The announcement came at Jay's final board meeting. Jay and Susie were given resolutions honoring their service to the university, as well as one acknowledging the naming of the center. Gov. Kay Ivey was present for the first time and acknowledged him for his service. 

"Rosemary and I saw the naming of the new performing arts center as an opportunity to honor Jay and Susie’s outstanding leadership and dedicated service to Auburn University," said John Brown, donor. "We believe this facility will serve as a lasting legacy of their vision to enrich the cultural life of the university, the community and the region."

The center will be located across from the Jule Collins Smith Museum of Fine Art on South College Street which will create a distinct area in Auburn for arts. 

The center is expected to host nationally touring Broadway productions, dance, orchestra and symphony performances. 

"The new performing arts center will elevate Auburn’s reputation by providing the artistic opportunities that Jay and Susie have envisioned for the university and community," said Charles McCrary, president pro tempore of the Board of Trustees. "This facility represents our commitment to innovative learning and cultural expression."

Share and discuss “New performing arts center to be named after retiring president, first lady” on social media.