Volkswagen announces plan to reinvent its iconic Microbus

A familiar face in motor vehicles, Volkswagen has captured the attention of the media and car fanatics everywhere with its plan to reinvent the iconic hippie and surfer-style van from the 60s.

The Volkswagen Microbus, also recognized by younger generations as the free-spirited hippie bus in Pixar’s movie “Cars,” is being recreated as an environment-friendly electric vehicle. The new model, the I.D. Buzz, is being advertised already, starting with the campaign “The Bus Is Back” to ensure nostalgia.

Sparked by consumer interest, the news to bring back the bus, as well as a sneak peek into the vehicle’s design, were announced by CEO Herbert Diess at a press conference held by VW in Pebble Beach, California on Aug. 19. The location paid homage to the culture represented by the original model sold in the 1950s-80s.

“The Microbus has long been a part of the California lifestyle,” Diess said during the conference. “Now we’re bringing it back by reinventing it as an electric vehicle.”

Although the exact design details have yet to be released, the new bus is said to include electric drive components, allowing for a surprisingly spacious interior.

“The vehicle looks like a compact commercial van on the outside, even though it offers the generous interior space of a large SUV,” Diess said.

With the I.D. Buzz, VW plans to introduce a new slim chocolate bar-like battery that fits easily into the platform of the vehicle. Not only does this contribute to its spacious interior, its compact size will allow VW to easily upgrade the battery over time. The car is also planning to be autonomous, featuring a rectangularly shaped steering wheel that easily retreats into the interior of the car, Diess said.

By recreating the most iconic car in VW history, Diess said the brand is aiming to bring back the emotional connection and feelings represented by the Microbus.

“It was a car, but it was also a home on wheels, it was a mover of families, it was most reliable and unconventional and it was highly emotional, putting a smile on everyone’s face,” Diess said.

The new model is looking to the future with its technological advancements, while also bringing back designs of the past, Diess said.

As the automotive industry becomes more advanced, one factor that deters people from jumping on board is the connotation that new models are losing their personality and becoming too robotic in nature.

“Our industry is changing, it’s changing dramatically as the next generation of cars will be fully electric,” Diess said.

As the foundation of the brand, alongside the Beetle, the Microbus’ journey back into production is a special one for VW, and it has no intention to disappoint, according to Diess. Driven by the determination to hold its place as a forerunner in the industry, VW is committed to creating the best new product available on the market.

“Our goal is clear: we want to make the fully electric, fully connected car a best-seller around the world,” Diess said. “The iconic car of the electric age must be a Volkswagen.”

Although the vehicle’s move to dealerships won’t be until 2022, Volkswagen has created buzz with its release of the plan and advertisement campaign.

Share and discuss “Volkswagen announces plan to reinvent its iconic Microbus” on social media.