Federal prosecutors subpoena Auburn in NCAA basketball investigation

Federal prosecutors from the U.S. Attorney's office investigating a sweeping bribery scheme in NCAA basketball have subpoenaed Auburn, requesting a wide range of documents.

A University spokesperson said Thursday the University has received the subpoena, which was issued by a federal grand jury in New York.

"Auburn has pledged full cooperation with the United States Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York," the spokesman said.

The grand jury also issued subpoenas to USC, Arizona and Oklahoma State, the other schools that have had assistant coaches charged in the bribery investigation, according to the Los Angeles Times.

USC has turned over laptop computers used by their coach, Tony Bland, who is facing charges of soliciting a bribe and wire fraud. They also turned over records and computers used by their head coach Andy Enfield and assistants Jason Hart and Chris Capko, according to the same report.

The LA Times obtained a 2 -page subpoena issued to Oklahoma State, and it is believed to be nearly identical to the subpoenas sent to the three other schools.

The subpoena sought material in six different categories including records of potential NCAA rule violations relating to receipt of money, travel, in-kind benefits or services.

The University would not provide a copy of the subpoena to The Plainsman, citing the ongoing nature of the investigation and the pledge to cooperate with prosecutors.

Person and nine other individuals including three other NCAA Division I assistant and associate coaches were arrested in September as part of a nationwide law enforcement effort.

The United States attorney for the Southern District of New York charged Person with accepting bribe money in exchange for directing student-athletes to money managers and agents if they were to make it to the NBA draft.

Person appeared in New York federal court on Tuesday and was released on a $100,000 bond, according to court records.

The subpoena issued to Oklahoma State, which is believed to be similar to the one issued to Auburn, applies to "any responsive documents wherever they may be found, including any of personal electronic devices, including any cellular phone or other telephone, pager, tablet, laptop computer, desktop computer, personal email, cloud storage, messaging or social media accounts used by employees or members of Oklahoma State University to conduct Oklahoma State University business."

Oklahoma State was told to respond by Oct. 17.

Chip Brownlee | Editor-in-chief

Chip Brownlee, senior in journalism and political science, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Federal prosecutors subpoena Auburn in NCAA basketball investigation” on social media.