Living amont brothers: Fraternity members highlight the pros of living in their chapter houses

Hollywood has got it all wrong. Anyone who has seen the movie “Neighbors” or “Animal House” might stereotype life in a fraternity house as nonstop parties and dipping GPAs.

For many fraternity brothers, though, living in a house at Auburn comes with many benefits for collegians involved in a Greek organization. Most of the social events happen in a separate barn or basement away from the rooms, and the experience of living in the house teaches responsibility in a variety of ways, according to fraternity members at Auburn.

“When I first saw the fraternity houses, I thought, ‘there is no way I could live in one of these,’” said former Phi Gamma Delta President Jordan Carr, who lived in the Fiji house. “It wasn’t until the end of my freshman year, after I had heard positive reviews from the older fraternity guys, that I decided to keep an open mind.”

Building new friendships and strengthening old ones with the other 25 to 30 brothers living in the house is the most obvious plus to Carr, he said.

“This is my second year living in the Sigma Nu house and the best aspect is the camaraderie,” said Sigma Nu Vice President William Kelly. “We have an awesome side yard where we play football or baseball in the spring and just get to hang out year round. Also, everyone knows everything that happens in the house, so we have to keep each other accountable here and set a good example for the pledge classes below ours.”

Another huge benefit of living in the house mentioned is having the support of a house mom. These ladies try to provide structure and stability while the fraternity members are away from their families.

“If I’m aware of any stress or anxiety, I try to encourage or advise them,” said Margaret Melzer, Sigma Nu House mom. “When they are tired of studying, I tell them to think of every minute they study for a few extra dollars they’ll earn in their career. It’s amazing to me how mature they can be about their studying, planning their social events, taking care of maintenance issues with the house and regulating their disciplinary rules. I feel fortunate to be in their presence.”

Melzer has been the house mother for 13 years and wouldn’t trade the job she said. Melzer offers rides to Sigma Nus in her white stretch limo. Her commitment to safety is just as serious to her commitment to style.

Considered by some to be the best advantage of living in a fraternity house are the three daily meals served by the house chef.

“Our cooks do an incredible job,” said Kappa Alpha Ralston Smith, junior in finance. “Ms. Brenda and Ms. Margaret are great at everything they cook, but there is always one meal that tops the list, and that is their fried chicken.”

Leaving for class with a full stomach, most fraternity members who live in their house only have a short walk or bus ride to campus. When they return home from class, they can count on a quiet place to study in the chapter room. The locational convenience is also ideal for game days when fraternity alumni and family visit the house.

“Overall, it really is a tough situation to beat,” Carr said. “It’s cheap housing where you have all of your best friends right around the corner and 15 meals a week, only two minutes away from campus.”

Share and discuss “Living amont brothers: Fraternity members highlight the pros of living in their chapter houses” on social media.