Hollywood takes The Plains: 'Life of the Party' brings the party to finals week

On a scorching day of Alabama's spring, Melissa McCarthy and the cast from "Life of the Party," threw toilet paper, day drank at Moe's and walked a red carpet to the sound of "Bodda Getta" and "War Eagle."

On the first scorching day of Alabama's spring, Melissa McCarthy and the cast from "Life of the Party," threw toilet paper, day drank at Moe's and walked a red carpet to the sound of "Bodda Getta" and "War Eagle." 

Debby Ryan, mean-girl Jennifer in the movie, said she secretly wished for Auburn to win the competition. Warner Bros. partnered with New Line Media to pit college campuses against each other off the football field. 

Only one school would win the world premiere of "Life of the Party," and to Ryan's pleasure, the Tigers took the win. Ryan, originally from Huntsville, was happy to join her fellow Alabamians once more. 

Continue reading below...

"I went creepy deep diving into the town," Ryan said. 

The rest of the cast enjoyed their time wandering in the orange and blue town, as well. As they walked through campus on the Monday of finals week, students did not let their stress show. 

At the on-campus celebration, the cast threw toilet paper into the Toomer's Oaks with the help of Student Government President Dane Block. By way of forest green golf carts, they made their way to Haley Concourse and parked in front of Haley Bookstore for interviews and a donut party. 

Matt Walsh, who plays Dan, the father in his mid-life crisis, said being back on a college campus brought back memories of his college days. The team stopped for barbecue and beer at Moe's. The easy pace of it all reminded him of carefree days of day drinking. 

Continue reading below...

"I was a good student in college — I didn't just party," Walsh said. "I do love the academic environment for learning or pursuing anything you want. It's like, in America you've got this time to figure out, ‘This is what I want to do with my life.’ We are indulged with this self-exploration if we have a little money saved up." 

That self-exploration is exactly what takes shape in the movie when mother and wife Deanna, played by McCarthy, goes back to college to get her degree after her husband goes off with a realtor, played by Julie Bowen. 

From struggles with public speaking to sneaking out of a fraternity house without her daughter seeing, McCarthy's character takes a crash course on college life.

McCarthy said shooting with young actors made the film for her. She said their energy and dedication to the product was infectious. 

"These women came in strong and confident and really kind, which is a beautiful mix," McCarthy said. "They are all very different, but on the first day, we all clicked in such a weird way. It just seemed like we had known each other already. We had weird jokes immediately and for whatever reason, no one felt nervous."

McCarthy said working with the strong woman cast gave her hope for the future of women. 

Julie Bowen, who plays Marcie the mistress, grew up in a house of women and went to all girls schools growing up. To her, women were always supposed to do what they want and be what they wanted to be. 

"I never got the idea that girls shouldn't be running the world," Bowen said. 

It only occurred to her later in life that other's do not feel the same way. She felt right at home with the cast of "Life of the Party." 

Continue reading below...

Stephen Root, who plays Mike, felt right at home on Auburn's campus, as he is an SEC man, too. Having graduated from the University of Florida, Root was happy to be back in the South. 

"I wish I was 22 again," Root said. 

He specifically enjoyed the Southern food at Acre the night before, raving about the collard greens, butter beans and shrimp and grits. 

Luke Benward, who plays a fraternity brother named Jack, differed from his character in that he did not attend college. He did some research with friends who attend the University of Tennessee. He, too, was happy to be back in the South having been from Franklin, Tennessee. 

"They have quite the Greek life there, and it's a very SEC school," Benward said. "That's the only real taste I got, and the rest I just assumed from Barstool Sports or whatever." 

Continue reading below...

McCarthy said her memory of this SEC school will be the "innate excitement." 

She said walking the campus was exciting, thrilling and inspiring. She left memories of the premiere, donuts and a $50,000 check for the Jay and Susie Gogue Performing Arts Center. A stage door will be named after her. 

"Walking that campus — I don't know — I got a little choked up almost," McCarthy said. "It's all these amazing kids, and it's finals week for God sakes, and they are still happy. They are just starting their lives and figuring what they want and who they want to be. That's such an exciting thing to be in the midst of. You can kind of feel it."

Share and discuss “Hollywood takes The Plains: 'Life of the Party' brings the party to finals week” on social media.