Brian Desarro/ Staff Writer

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Making Relationships Work 101

Will you go out with me? Circle yes or no.While receiving this note underneath the desk in middle school made many hearts flutter, going out didn't mean much more than holding hands in the hallway and walking around the mall on a Saturday.Now, many students find navigating a relationship much more difficult, sometimes losing themselves in the shuffle.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Where does everything on the Internet go?

In this Information Age, things like shopping for new clothes, researching a history paper and watching the latest Miley Cyrus video can all be done simultaneously at the click of a mouse.The Internet, it seems, has taken over the world.But many users never stop to think about the complex network of technology that makes doing a Google search or updating a Facebook status easy and convenient.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Internet Instigates, Energizes Brain

Turns out spending all day searching Facebook and YouTube may not be such a waste of time, according to a UCLA study.The study, which worked with 24 neurologically normal volunteers between the ages of 55 and 78, found Internet use stimulates neural activity and may enhance brain function in older adults."Basically, we wanted to see what the brain looked like the first time it searched online," said Gary Small, professor of clinical psychiatry at UCLA.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Roundup Auctions for Charity

As the sun shone bright and the air filled with the smell of sausage and corn dogs, hungry Tiger fans flocked to the 30th annual Fall Roundup and Taste of Alabama Agriculture before the Homecoming game last Saturday against Furman.The event, which featured various University departments and organizations, as well as commodity groups from across the state, offered up a pre-game feast at the Ag Heritage Park for $5 a person.There was also a live and silent auction, children's activities and visits from the Auburn cheerleaders and pep band at the roundup."It is to showcase the commodity groups in the state and it shows what they produce," said Elaine Rollo, administrative support specialist for the College of Agriculture.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Luck Leaves Students Searching for Leprechaun

"Hearts, stars, and horseshoes, clovers, and blue moons, pots of gold, and rainbows, and me red balloons!"Lucky the Leprechaun may have his lucky charms, but as the semester rolls on, many students are finding it increasingly difficult to tempt Lady Luck to stand by their sides."My luck has been awful this semester," said Courtney Labosky, senior in theater.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Auburn Students Consider 'Enjoyable' Classes

For students looking to take a break from sitting through boring class after boring class, Auburn offers several courses that, gasp, may be considered fun.Classes such as vegetable production, bowling and self-defense have become popular electives that students take in order to have variety in their schedule."There's just so many classes that people are required to take that you have to sit through and suck it up," said Katie Britt, senior in history.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Auburn Area Ranks Top 20

The Auburn-Opelika area is ranked No. 16 on cnnmoney.com's list of best small places to launch a business.The list, which included cities from across the country, cited the University and muted effects of the recession as key factors contributing to the area's high ranking."There are three key factors that we recognize every time," said Mayor Bill Ham.

The Auburn Plainsman
Sports

Plans for Sports Complex Begin

A $6.5 million soccer and track facility was added to the list of ongoing campus construction projects as the University broke ground Oct. 1.The new facility, scheduled to open July 1, 2010, will be directly between the existing soccer complex and the Hutsell-Rosen Track.The 22,000-square foot, two-story building will house nine coach's offices, locker rooms for each sport, training rooms, equipment rooms and team lounges.

More articles »