Roundup Auctions for Charity

As the sun shone bright and the air filled with the smell of sausage and corn dogs, hungry Tiger fans flocked to the 30th annual Fall Roundup and Taste of Alabama Agriculture before the Homecoming game last Saturday against Furman.

The event, which featured various University departments and organizations, as well as commodity groups from across the state, offered up a pre-game feast at the Ag Heritage Park for $5 a person.

There was also a live and silent auction, children's activities and visits from the Auburn cheerleaders and pep band at the roundup.

"It is to showcase the commodity groups in the state and it shows what they produce," said Elaine Rollo, administrative support specialist for the College of Agriculture. "The auctions are for raising money for scholarships for the Auburn agriculture students."

The auctions, which raised approximately $8,900, were a huge success, Rollo said.

Items featured in the auctions included Auburn gift baskets and memorabilia, hunting equipment, tailgating supplies, a John Deere edger and weed eater, as well as Alabama agriculture products such as Priester's pecans and an Alabama wine gift basket.

The vendors circled the event and handed out free samples of their products and had informative displays about their role in Alabama agriculture.

Conecuh Sausage, Alabama Bee and Honey Producers and the Alabama Farmers Cooperative Inc. were among the many tables that were set up.

Morgan Burgess, junior in landscape horticulture and president of the Auburn Horticulture Forum, said she loves attending and representing the horticulture forum.

"We come every year and we usually bring corsages or some kind of food to give back," Burgess said. "This is my second year coming and I would say meeting people and the food, of course, are my favorite part."

There was no shortage of food at the event, which was good news to the thousands of hungry fans who came just for a pregame meal.

"My favorite part is the food, definitely," said Amy Bley, senior in animal sciences and production management and a member of the Block and Bridle Club. "There is everything you could ever want: corn dogs, goat meat, honey, hamburgers and everything. It's just great to see everything we can produce in Alabama."

While fans filled their stomachs in preparation for the game, the Auburn cheerleaders and pep band stopped by to help get everyone pumped with spirit.

The cheerleaders gathered a large crowd with their performance of "Bodda Getta" and "Track 'Em," which was followed by the live auction.

The pep band performed the fight song and "Tiger Rag," which had fans singing and cheering along.

The event also included a children's area, featuring a moon bounce and fishing game, making the Fall Roundup enjoyable for people of all ages.

"It was very successful this year," Rollo said. "I think that everyone enjoyed the silent and live auctions, and of course, getting to sample the products that are brought in from around the state by the various vendors."

Many fans come back to the roundup year after year.

"This is my third year," Bley said. "I wouldn't miss it for anything because I love Ag Roundup."

The event was sponsored by John Deere, KMG Chemicals and Milo's Tea.

Share and discuss “Roundup Auctions for Charity” on social media.