Emily Beckett/ Staff Writer

The Auburn Plainsman
Sports

Coach Hawke reflects on first year as head coach

Sydney, Australia, may have kangaroos, boomerangs and a world-famous opera house, but it is missing one important person - Brett Hawke.Hawke left his native city, Sydney, in 2006 and returned to Auburn, his alma mater, to pursue a career in coaching for arguably one of the strongest collegiate swimming and diving programs in the U.S."I think I just wanted to hand back some of the knowledge and information that I have built up over the years as a professional athlete," Hawke said.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Architecture, Design Holds Open House

The College of Architecture, Design and Construction laid a foundation for prospective students to use in building their futures during the second annual college-wide graduate recruiting open house in Dudley Hall, Gorrie Center and Wallace Center, Friday.CADC featured master's programs in landscape architecture, community planning, building construction and industrial design, as well as two new programs, design-build and real estate development."We are excited to have the support of the dean's office to host such an open house," said Joyce Griffin, director of student services for the CADC.

The Auburn Plainsman
Sports

Men's basketball kicks off season with win over Purple Eagles

Fans stood with bated breath as Auburn Men's basketball edged out the Niagara Purple Eagles in a season-opening win during the final seconds of Friday night's game at Beard-Eaves Memorial Coliseum.Senior leader and guard DeWayne Reed lived up to his title as he completed a layup and free throw with 12.5 seconds left in the second half, securing a 69-65 win for the Tigers."I was just hungry, ready to win," Reed said. "I was ready to win the whole game."

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Netflix Begins Streaming on PS3

Gamers will never need to leave their dens to go to the mailbox again now that Netflix and PlayStation 3 have partnered to allow Netflix to be streamed to TVs through the gaming system.As long as they are Netflix members, all owners of PlayStation 3 gaming systems will be able to instantly stream movies and TV episodes to their TVs and computers through their PS3s starting in November.Seth Paskert, freshman in computer and electrical engineering, and Trent Carroll, sophomore in aerospace engineering, said they both have friends who have used the new streaming capabilities of the PS3 systems."(My friend) said it worked well," Paskert said.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

How to: Find internships

Internships provide on-the-job experience, networking with potential employers and valuable additions to students' resumes.Karen Pruett, a career counselor in Career Development Services (CDS), said she encourages students to do internships whether they are for course credit or paid positions."Any experience in the field is going to be valuable," Pruett said. "We encourage students to do an internship or at least do some volunteer work that relates to the profession they are interested in going into."

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Moyer speaks on imperilment of fish species

It seems money is not the only thing people should be conserving in the current economy.Biological conservation in fish populations and other aquatic organisms was the subject of a seminar for the Department of Fisheries and Allied Aquacultures in Swingle Hall Friday afternoon.Greg Moyer, a U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service scientist from Warm Springs, Ga., provided biological statistics and strategies for reducing extinction among aquatic species."One of the reasons I moved to Georgia is because the diversity of fishes in the Southeast is phenomenal," Moyer said. "It is much greater than what you see in the Northwest or the Southwest."

The Auburn Plainsman
Sports

Neubarth gives back to AU

Working for Auburn Equestrian is much more than a job for Lindsey Neubarth, associate head coach of the Hunt Seat."To have a job where you represent Auburn and help other people come to know it doesn't seem like work," Neubarth said.

More articles »