Lindsey Grubbs/ Staff Writer

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Coat Campaign Lends Helping Hand to Needy

With weather reaching cooler temperatures, coats are a must for everyone, even in south Alabama.This season, Auburn University Medical Clinic and East Alabama Medical Center have begun the first "One Coat Campaign" to receive coat and jacket donations for those in need around the Auburn-Opelika community.Since beginning Nov.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Local Restaurant Menus Include Thanksgiving Food choices

Some think of the Thanksgiving holiday as a weekend filled with family sitting around a table set for 12 and an oven-roasted turkey displayed as the center piece on the table.No matter if students are staying in town for the holidays or for the long-awaited Iron Bowl, area restaurants are lending their own ovens to serve Thanksgiving dinner from the traditional to the extreme to those here in Auburn.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Budget Cuts Will Not Affect Classes at Auburn

An article by the Associated Press claims universities are facing budget reductions that ultimately cause courses to be cut and teachers to be laid off, making it harder for students to graduate.However, University officials assert this is not a problem at Auburn."I would like to give credit to our budgeting office to make sure that we are physically sound," said Mike Reynolds, director of student financial services.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Local organizations take donations at Ninth Annual Trick-or-Treat Downtown event.

On one of Auburn's spookiest nights, an assortment of ghosts, goblins and princesses lined the streets of downtown Auburn with their moms and dads Thursday, Oct. 29, for the city's Ninth Annual Trick-or-Treat Downtown event.The Trick-or-Treat festivities were available for children ages 12 and younger and included entertainment form Auburn University's steel drum band who also dressed in their ghoulish fare.Parents and trick-or-treaters walked along the shops and restaurants in the downtown area as participating merchants handed out candy from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

The Auburn Plainsman
Sports

Deese Maintains Excellence in Softball Program Since 1997

Head softball coach Tina Deese is entering her 13th year of coaching at Auburn University where she has broken many program records and seen many new developments during her coaching career.Deese was named 2002 SEC Head Coach of the Year, leading the Tigers to second in the Southeastern Conference Western Division in 2005 and most recently brought Auburn its 400th win in February 2009.Originally from Huntington Beach, Calif., Deese began her softball career following in the footsteps of her athletic family of four brothers and sisters."Basically we were very involved with baseball and softball as a family," Deese said.

The Auburn Plainsman
Sports

Auburn Women's Rugby Club branches off Men's Rugby Club

A sport once known to be played by mostly men is now open to women and is making its way to women in Auburn.Auburn Women's Rugby Club opened its recruitment to find those interested in learning the game of rugby and most of all those who just want to have a good time.The club was granted provisional status by the Auburn Student Government Association and will seek an official vote to receive full club status Nov.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Students run 5K for United Way

With more than 300 pre-registered runners, Auburn University's Student Government Association's 15th annual Fall 5K benefited Auburn United Way agencies, including Project Uplift.The event included live entertainment from Auburn local band Fallback, food and exercise for the community.As the temperature reached a high of 55 degrees, runners bundled up for the first signs of fall weather on Cater Lawn, Sunday, Oct.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Auburn Agriculture Program Achieves Accreditation

Happy cows aren't choosing California anymore. They're choosing Auburn.Auburn University's College of Agriculture has earned the highest international accreditation for the humane treatment of research animals including cattle.AAALAC, the Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care International, is a private non-profit organization whose mission is to promote the humane treatment of animals around the world in universities, government institutions and companies."This means that we can compete with the best of the research universities and institutions across and international spectrum," said Jim Bannon, director of outlying units of the Alabama Agricultural Experiment Station at Auburn University.Bannon organized the process that took three years to complete and wrote a 457-page document to outline and review the college's animal care programs which followed an extensive interview and review process by AAALAC."It is a voluntary process that involved a physical assessment in person and submission of a program description, " Bannon said.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Yoga Club Nurtures Body and Mind

Auburn University's Art of Living Yoga Club is more than the average fitness class struggling with the downward facing dog pose and sweating due to the chattaronga.Vivek Patil, a graduate student in mechanical engineering, said it has changed his life.Auburn's Yoga Club teaches the principles of the Art of Living Yoga course where the class emphasizes not just physical exercise, but healthy living in general."The word yoga means 'union' in Sanskrit, the language of ancient India where yoga originated," said P.K.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Study Says Foreclosures Affect Tax Base

Auburn's Center for Governmental Services released a study Sept. 29 which warned local governments to be wary in distributing funds for developments during the recession.The study also examined the effects on local tax bases of high foreclosure rates in housing and developments."With foreclosure there could be a delay or even a non-payment of property taxes," said David Hill, associate director for the Center for Governmental Services.

More articles »