Budget Cuts Will Not Affect Classes at Auburn

An article by the Associated Press claims universities are facing budget reductions that ultimately cause courses to be cut and teachers to be laid off, making it harder for students to graduate.

However, University officials assert this is not a problem at Auburn.

"I would like to give credit to our budgeting office to make sure that we are physically sound," said Mike Reynolds, director of student financial services. "We gave up something, but not the quality of education."

Reynolds said each department at Auburn was asked to make compromises in order not to have to cut courses and faculty.

Last fiscal year, which ended in October, the University saw a total budget cut of about $5.8 million in the area of academics.

The College of Liberal Arts saw the largest budget reduction of more than $900,000.

"To my knowledge it is not (a problem at Auburn) because I have asked the deans to have as their No. 1 priority to preserve the instruction mission as we do these budget reductions," said Mary Ellen Mazey, Auburn University Provost. "I have not heard any deans say that they are cutting courses."

The University was granted $25.9 million in stimulus money Oct. 29 to go toward learning and safety.

Mazey said colleges have already received the money in order to help preserve institutional instruction.

According to Reynolds, 60 percent of Auburn students currently receive some sort of financial aid.

Reynolds said depending on a student's class level, generally the average student receives about $6,750 a year in aid for college expenses.

Despite some worries of students and initial reports of extended graduation times, Reynolds said no matter how many years it takes a student to graduate, financial aid is generally not affected.

There is the exception of scholarships, which are awarded over a time plan such as four years or eight semesters.

"You are still eligible for financial aid as long as you are making the qualitative and quantitative requirements," Reynolds said. "Typically as long as you are taking courses and completing them satisfactory then you will receive financial aid."

Reynolds said the University receives money from the federal government through direct lending and no matter the current state of the economy, there is always going to be some type of aid available for students to go to college.

"Things are tight and I'm not going to say that they aren't," Relihan said. "We have been able so far been able to keep our class offerings pretty much at the same level."

Relihan said a few sections were not being offered in some areas of liberal arts departments such as English, but the overall course is still available.

"If there is really a truly overwhelming need or large negative impact, if possible they will add another section," Relihan said.

Relihan said the college's goal was to mainstream course sections and make sure all classes were full before trying to add another section.

Amy Hutchins, administrative support assistant in the English department, said courses such as world literature are being offered in the same amount as last spring.

Some English Composition II sections were cut because she said it had a lot of vacancies last year.

"We have to make sure all of our classes are completely full," Hutchins said.

Hutchins also said the waiting lists in the English department were less popular compared to years past.

"We are very close to the bone, and we certainly don't want to compromise anyone's education," Relihan said.

Relihan said if anyone has problem registering, or is in the situation of not graduating because of a course they cannot register for, should seek assistance from their department.

"I really can't say what impact on the long run what this will have," Relihan said.

Share and discuss “Budget Cuts Will Not Affect Classes at Auburn” on social media.