Deese Maintains Excellence in Softball Program Since 1997

Head softball coach Tina Deese is entering her 13th year of coaching at Auburn University where she has broken many program records and seen many new developments during her coaching career.

Deese was named 2002 SEC Head Coach of the Year, leading the Tigers to second in the Southeastern Conference Western Division in 2005 and most recently brought Auburn its 400th win in February 2009.

Originally from Huntington Beach, Calif., Deese began her softball career following in the footsteps of her athletic family of four brothers and sisters.

"Basically we were very involved with baseball and softball as a family," Deese said. "It came really natural to all of us."

It was in 1984 when Deese committed to Florida State Seminole to play softball during her college career.

"Florida State was in need for a pitcher, and it just kind of fell into place," Deese said.

Deese said, although it was hard to adjust to moving across the country for college, she found comfort in living close to her sister who was residing in Florida with her family at the time.

"It was real hard actually," Deese said. "My sister was my hero as I grew up and she actually ended up trying softball at the national level, and I wanted to be close to her."

At Florida State, Deese received her bachelors of science degree in leisure services.

After college, Deese said she was offered a job to work at Huntingdon College in Montgomery, where she worked to build a softball program and was then hired as head softball coach in 1997 for Auburn University.

"In the South there was a big need for fast pitch experience," Deese said. "I had a lot to offer to sports at the time I got into it and it just developed into a career for me."

With the beginning of Auburn's softball program, Deese said the team has seen accomplishments such as All-American athletes, academic All-American athletes and high statistics of the program such as 12th in the country and 20th in ratings percentage index.

Deese said the way she coaches is based on values of excellence in family, academics and sports with a coaching style that is demanding, but understanding because she too was an athlete.

"I am raising children and I know how I would like my children to be to be treated by a coach," Deese said. "I think that plays a big part in how I approach the game and how I approach my athletes."

In 2005, Auburn's softball team had seven players on the SEC Academic Honor Roll and saw a total of 57 players admitted to the honor roll in the SEC.

Deese said she asks her players to ask themselves what excellence looks like on the practice field and in the classroom.

"We stress those kinds of things and to just being passionate about what you do whether it be in the classroom or on the field," Deese said.

Auburn's Softball team begins its season in February at the Kajikawa Classic in Tempe, Ariz.

Deese said the team has a lot to work with and is strong and motivated going into the upcoming season.

"We've got strength in character this year," Deese said. "They have what it takes to go out there and compete at the highest level with a challenging schedule. We've got a lot of speed in the line up."

As for life off the field, Deese is married with two children, ages 15 and 11, and enjoys spending her free time at her home with her family and friends.

Share and discuss “Deese Maintains Excellence in Softball Program Since 1997” on social media.