Coat Campaign Lends Helping Hand to Needy

With weather reaching cooler temperatures, coats are a must for everyone, even in south Alabama.

This season, Auburn University Medical Clinic and East Alabama Medical Center have begun the first "One Coat Campaign" to receive coat and jacket donations for those in need around the Auburn-Opelika community.

Since beginning Nov. 4, EAMC has collected more than 200 jackets and has extended the deadline to end collecting of all coats and jackets to Dec. 11.

Scott Lee, chaplain of EAMC, said the goal was to only collect 10 coats and jackets from a few individuals, but because of an overwhelming response from the community, there will be a lot more lives touched.

"Something that was given to me years ago back when I was in college was this understanding that the greatest investment that we could ever make is to invest our life into helping someone else," Lee said. "This could be a life changing event to the one who is receiving."

Lee said the campaign's mission is to collect coats and jackets ranging in all sizes for men, women and children. The campaign asks that all donated items are still wearable and in style with no obvious signs of wear and tear.

"A lot of times people just throw coats away and there are a lot of people out there who are actually in need of a coat and in need of something warm to wear," said Joyce Chocklett, campaign organizer with AUMC. "There are a lot of people who are homeless and actually people who have been laid off of their job and cannot afford to buy a new coat for their children or their elderly parents."

Auburn accounting graduate student and teaching assistant Haley Clark said she heard about the campaign from a friend.

"I think this is a great way to give back to people who really need something," Clark said. "I found the perfect jacket that I couldn't wear anymore and decided to donate it."

Chocklett said donations can be taken to EAMC or AUMC to the front reception desk or at EAMC's HealthPlus Fitness Center.

"Ask yourself what difference could one coat make not only in your own life, but in the life of whoever receives it," Lee said. "Something so small could become so significant in the life of someone else."

Lee said the campaign hopes to receive more coats as the holiday approaches and the organization has since decided to set a new goal.

"I would love to see 500 coats or jackets; that would be great," Lee said.

Clark said she would rather donate a jacket to someone who is in need than give a dollar to something or someone she didn't know or know how the money was going to be used.

"It's just more personal," Clark said.

One Coat Campaign has also seen support from Auburn-Opelika City schools such as Richland.

"Right now we want people to give what they want to give," Chocklett said. "I think it is good to give from the heart."

Share and discuss “Coat Campaign Lends Helping Hand to Needy” on social media.