Softball picks up 2 wins

Auburn's softball team swept Tennessee State and Alabama State in a double header March 18.

The Tigers beat TSU 10-0 and ASU 4-0. With these two wins, Auburn improved to 23-9 for the season.

Pitcher Holly Ragsdale allowed only six hits, no runs and struck out six in game two of the day.

This improved her record to 3-1 for the season.

In the third inning, Auburn scored a run when Taryn Gray singled and was able to move to second base as the result of an illegal pitch.

Gray moved to third base on a passed ball and scored on a fly hit by Alexa Martinez. This run put Auburn at a 1-0 lead.

In the bottom of the third, Lindsey Harrelson helped put the Tigers at a 2-0 lead in after hitting a home-run to left center.

This was Harrelson's second home-run of the season.

Gray was able to progress to third after a double hit by Lauren Guzman down the left field line in the fourth inning. Once again, Gray scored after brought home by Alexa Martinez's ground hit to second base. This put Auburn at a lead of 3-0. Guzman scored the fourth run of the game after a double steal.

The Tigers were able to prevent any runs for the remainder of the game, leading to their victory over the ASU Hornets.

In the first game of the day, Elizabeth Eisterhold was able to drive in three runs which would eventually help the Tigers out in their 10-0 victory over the TSU Tigers.

Pitcher Jenee Loree only allowed two hits while throwing all five innings of the game.

Kyndall White bumped Auburn to a 1-0 lead in the third inning with after batting in Cassie Trosclair with a double down the left field line.

Myesha Finney sent White home with a left-side single and two outs in the inning. This would put the Tigers at a 2-0 lead.

Elizabeth Eisterhold batted in Finney, followed by Gray, who batted in Eisterhold with a single to left center. This would make the game 4-0.

In the fourth inning, Auburn would move to a 5-0 lead after Fernandaz hit a double to left, which sent White home.

Eisterhold would help move the Tigers to a 6-0 lead in the fifth inning after a home run. This was Eisterhold's fourth home run of the season.

Later in the inning, Gray and Guzman walked, putting runners at second and first. Alexa Martinez bunted, but the ball was dropped by the first baseman, allowing Gray to score from second. Guzman moved to third on the play.

A wild throw into left trying to put Guzman out on third, resulted in Guzman being about to make it home, putting the Tigers at a 9-0 lead.

The last run of the game was made when Eisterhold batted in Trosclair for the 10-0 victory.

The next game for Auburn will be Saturday at 1 p.m. in Auburn. The game is the first of a three-game series against South Carolina.

Share and discuss “Softball picks up 2 wins” on social media.