Women celebrated in March

Now is the time for women everywhere to celebrate being women. In 1987, the month of March was declared Women's History Month. This month is a time in which events are held to celebrate women and honor the ones who have made an impact throughout history.

"To me, an Italian citizen, this is a particularly significant and exciting event because, in Italy, the wave of hope came for Italian women relatively late compared to their U.S. counterparts," said Giovanna Summerfield, Italian and French professor at Auburn and a women's studies faculty member. "In Italy it was Feb. 1, 1945, when a law granted Italian women the right to vote. School was also a privilege until the 1950s, when it became a nationwide principle and when women started to populate schools to attain their degrees."

Summerfield said her favorite women in history are two Sicilian women, Franca Viola and Rita Atria. She said they are her favorite because they sacrificed their honor for just causes.

"I think it is a good time to look at where we have been, and where we have come to now," said Kristina Tanner, a senior in interior design. "The ways that we have progressed as a society and the things women have accomplished just since the beginning of our nation. No longer are women confined to an apron and a frying pan."

Tanner said choice is the biggest achievement for women.

"Women can be CEOs of corporations, or if they choose, they can be stay at home mothers," Tanner said. "I think the biggest advancement is our right to choose how we would like to live our lives."

Tanner said her favorite woman in history is Erin Brockovich.

"She stood up for the little people," Tanner said. "She was someone without a lot of social status, yet she took on a company. She realized the value and importance of human life was more important than the dollar bill."

Throughout the month of March, Auburn has hosted and will host several events in honor of Women's History Month. Dr. Joyce de Vries, assistant professor of art history, will be giving a speech Wednesday, March 11 at 3 p.m., titled "Women Artists and Gender Issues in Early Modern Europe" in Biggin Hall 005.

In addition, Wednesday, March 25 at 12:15 p.m., there will be a panel discussion on "Student Ratings of Female and Minority Faculty: What the Research Says" in Haley 0346.

"I believe women's history month is important because it celebrates all the brave women who have fought for women's rights and freedoms throughout the world," said Caitlin Bearden, a senior in social work.

Bearden said many women paved the way for modern-day women.

"As a young American woman, it is easy to forget what those strong women had to go through in order for me to be enrolled at a university, or vote for our president, or even run for office," Bearden said.

Bearden said her favorite woman in history is Elizabeth Stanton, who drafted the Declaration of Sentiments, which was read at the first women's rights convention in Seneca Falls, New York in 1948.

"Elizabeth Stanton dedicated her life to ensuring that women were held to the same standards as men and given the same opportunities they received," Bearden said. "She was a leader and an inspiration to generations to come."

Share and discuss “Women celebrated in March” on social media.