Equestrian headed to championship

The Auburn equestrian team's scheduled March 28 meet against Tennessee-Martin was cancelled because of expected severe weather.

This was the Tigers' final home meet of the season, and it will not be made up.

The team is 6-4 on the season going into the Southern Equestrian Championships this weekend.

"I actually feel very, very good about how we're going to be able to perform in the postseason," said equestrian head coach Greg Williams.

Auburn's equestrian team started its 2008-2009 season strongly, remaining the top-ranked team and undefeated in its first four matches.

The Tigers' first loss came in its Feb. 7 match against the South Carolina Gamecocks.

Auburn lost 5-4 in both Hunt Seat and Western, dropping the team to No. 4.

"Most of the scores in this meet weren't so high," Williams said. "We had some (riders) just not have a good plan and try to do too much; we had some that just didn't ride with enough focus."

The team lost its second match against Georgia, but scored an 11-9 victory against No. 1 Baylor March 7.

"Baylor put on a great meet," Williams said. "They are an extremely good team. We had been No. 1 and fallen, so it's always good to beat the No. 1 team on the road."

Auburn won its following meet in Texas against Southern Methodist 7-3 in Hunt Seat.

"We made a couple of mistakes that left some of our riders to have to cover for others, but they did it quite well," Williams said. "Both of our seniors, Jessica Braswell and Jenny Reinhart, pulled in two really good rides when we needed it and showed a lot of leadership."

The team lost both its two most recent matches 11-9, first against Kansas State March 13 then against Oklahoma State March 14.

Although the Tigers lost in the Western division of both matches, they managed to win in Hunt Seat both days.

Auburn beat Kansas State in Hunt Seat 6-4 and pulled out a win by a 698-676 raw score.

The team was tied 5-5 with Oklahoma State before winning the tiebreaker.

Auburn freshman Courtney Kobak said she thinks the Western team will match the Hunt Seat team's efforts.

"Hunt Seat seems to be the stronger discipline, but the Western team is developing their skills, and I expect great things in the near future," Kobak said.

"We give kudos to the Hunt Seat girls for pulling out a win in the tiebreaker," Williams said. "Grace Socha did a good job winning MVP in Fences."

The team has performed better in the Hunt Seat divisions than in Western. Out of their 10 matches so far, the Tigers have won eight Hunt Seat matches, but only four in Western.

Sophomores Ali Loprete and Anna Schierholz have taken the most MVP honors in Hunt Seat this season.

Junior Jessica Jones has been named MVP in Western three times this season, tying with South Carolina's Hailey Thornton.

The Tigers will travel to Georgia this weekend to compete both Friday and Saturday in the Southern Equestrian Championships.

Share and discuss “Equestrian headed to championship” on social media.