Greek Sing 2009

Seventeen sorority's stepped up their game at Panhellenic's Greek Sing Tuesday night.

Alpha Gamma Delta's "Breaking Free of the Nut House" won first place, followed by Chi Omega's "Survival of the Fittest" and Kappa Delta's "Super KD" in second and third place, respectively. Kappa Alpha Theta received the President's Choice Award.

"Winning was very exciting, and it made all the practices worthwhile," said Rebekah Cowart, an Alpha Gamma Delta freshman who competed with the group. "I learned a lot about team work from working together these past few months."

Fans, sorority sisters and family filled nearly every seat in the designated section of Beard-Eaves Memorial Coliseum.

"It was exhilarating getting out there," said Rachel Wallace, a Kappa Alpha Theta junior majoring in apparel design.

From "School House Rock" to "The Real Housewives," elaborate themes made each sorority stand out from one another.

"Judges look for creativity, the dance's theme, cool backdrops, good choreography and for them to be able to entertain the audience," said Anna Houk, Panhellenic director of Greek Sing.

Props and backdrops created the needed special effects. Blow-up globes, brooms and boas completed the themes.

As each sorority's dance crew took the stage, the Coliseum exploded with sorority cheers, waving glow sticks and shaking shakers. Cowart said crowd participation helped make their performance stand out and gave the dancers energy.

Houk and Jacob Watkins, SGA president, emceed the event, which had a "Step Up 2" theme. All proceeds benefitted Lee County's Habitat for Humanity.

The doors of the Coliseum opened at 6 p.m. Tuesday, but most sororities and their members pre-bought tickets. Outside the Coliseum, the line to buy tickets stretched with eager family members and friends.

AU Singers opened the production while people filled in the stands.

Best Buddies and their friends entertained the crowd as the big finale. Houk said one of the best buddies choreographed the performance for the group.

Best Buddies is a nonprofit organization geared toward helping people with intellectual disabilities by giving them one-on-one friendships with an Auburn student.

Houk praised the hard work from each sorority and said each sorority has practiced for four or five months learning dances, transitions and making the props.

"The girls spending so much time together outside their chapter rooms bonds them by really getting to know different girls in your sorority that you might not get to know just by seeing them at chapter or socials," Houk said. 'Here you actually spend time with them."

Wallace said many of decisions came from a group effort.

"We got in the game early, so we've been practicing every night for like two months straight," Wallace said.

Share and discuss “Greek Sing 2009” on social media.