Service sorority, social fraternity spike for cancer

With sand, volleyball and an afternoon of competition, the Delta Chi fraternity and Omega Phi Alpha service sorority raised $800 for The V Foundation for Cancer Research.

Volley for a Cure was held Saturday, and Team Diesel beat out seven other teams to take the top spot.

Team Diesel's prize was a collection of gift certificates to multiple restaurants in Auburn.

"It went really well; we had eight teams show up," said Alex Lusco, Delta Chi's philanthropy chairman. "It was a really good event."

This was the first time Omega Phi Alpha and Delta Chi teamed up to raise money for any charity.

Carah Wright, Omega Phi Alpha's vice president, said she thought the event went off without a problem.

Wright also estimated about 100 people showed up for the event.

Tickets for food at the event were $10 and teams had to pay $25 to enter the tournament.

"We had some people come right off the street for the crawfish," Lusco said.

Chris O'Donnell, treasurer for Delta Chi, said the event was scheduled for later in the semester to allow more time for planning, and also because the last weekend of school was good timing.

The event also featured music from Joe Breckenridge and Brandon Peoples, who have played at bars around Auburn.

Other teams that competed in the volleyball competition included Kappa Alpha, Delta Chi 1, Delta Chi 2, Delta Chi 3, Omega Phi Alpha, B'ham Crew and Delta Gamma.

The V Foundation is Delta Chi's main philanthropy. ESPN and commentator Jimmy Valvano started the foundation in 1993 after Valvano was diagnosed with bone cancer.

According to its Web site, "The V Foundation has raised more than $80 million and awarded cancer research grants in 38 states and the District of Columbia. Researchers have developed their laboratories and taken their science from the labs to the clinics with the help of funds raised by The V Foundation."

Delta Chi was chartered at Auburn University in 1951 and has about 50 members.

Omega Phi Alpha has been at Auburn since 1992.

Wright said although the sorority has been around for 17 years, it has seen a lot of growth in the past few years and has 50 members.

Wright said the social sorority hosts from seven to 10 events per semester, including visiting retirement homes, working with Safe Harbor and organizing domestic violence workshops.

To learn more about Delta Chi and Omega Phi Alpha, visit their Web sites at www.auburn.edu/student_info/omega_phi_alpha/ and www.auburn.edu/student_info/greeks/delta_chi/.

Share and discuss “Service sorority, social fraternity spike for cancer” on social media.