Boating Safety Class

As students gear up for the long awaited summer, Auburn offers them a boating safety class over the break.

"You will receive information on legal requirements, navigation rules, accidents and new boat laws," said Ronnie Harris, Alabama marine police officer and course instructor.

The course fee is $10 and after the two sessions commence, students will receive a boating license. It will be held Tuesday and Thursday, June 23 and 25, from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.

"Alabama law requires anyone operating a boat to have a license," Harris said.

Lydia Walls, organizer of community courses, said Harris is a patrolman of lake Martin and Harding.

"(Harris) gives a test the last day of the class," Walls said. "The boating license doesn't cost extra, though. It's part of the class."

Students who stay in Auburn over the summer can earn six credit hours for completing the course.

"In drivers education in high school I tried to get my boating license and barely scored too low," said Sean Hall, junior in graphic design. "I didn't think of ever taking it again, but $10 isn't a bad deal to get something very useful in summer-time situations."

There are several other community classes listed at the Outreach Program Office Web site.

"All of the summer classes are listed at the outreach program part of the Auburn Web site," Walls said. "We have quite a few that haven't started and still have openings remaining. Basic handgun is already full, but we have a golf class that hasn't started yet and some computer classes for anyone interested."

The location for Boating Safety is still listed as "to be determined" on the Web site, but Walls said it will probably be taught in the library as it has been before.

To register, interested participants need a valid Mastercard or Visa credit card.

Share and discuss “Boating Safety Class” on social media.