Cumberland Plastic Systems LLC and Donaldson Company Inc. Add Jobs to Auburn

Ashlea Draa/Photo Editor
Ashlea Draa/Photo Editor

Two Auburn manufacturers are planning to expand their production and employee base.

Cumberland Plastic Systems LLC and Donaldson Company Inc. will be adding additional employees within the next two years.

Alison Petersen, human resources representative for Cumberland, said Cumberland plans to hire at least 51 employees over the next two years.

Jim Noreault, plant manager for Donaldson, said Donaldson Company plans to hire 25 employees starting in January 2010.

Petersen said it is not an immediate physical expansion, but a production expansion where the company will buy new machines and hire more employees to work them.

"We are a new company, and we've been working hard the past few years to get business," Petersen said. "We are dependent on our customers for when they release projects, so our decisions to hire are an immediate effect."

Cumberland is investing $2 million and Donaldson $3.5 million to add more to production lines.

Mayor Bill Ham Jr. made the announcement about the companies' expansion at the last city council meeting.

"Obviously in these stressful times, jobs are being lost more than gained," Ham said. "We do have a lot of unemployed people, but Lee County is one of the lowest unemployment areas in the state and having people gain employment is a good thing for the community."

Mike Grier, manager of the Alabama Career Center Auburn-Opelika office, said the companies go through the career center to help with the hiring process.

"When the companies get ready to do something, they get with us and give us specific times, dates and job descriptions," Grier said. "They ask us to prescreen, and we begin recruiting for them."

He said the community was hit hard by the closing of Pace Industries, accounting for a loss of 157 jobs.

With these two companies growing, Grier said the community's economic standpoint looks positive.

"Job creation is a vital part of our economy," Ham said. "Not only do we immediately benefit from new jobs in the form of business licenses and occupational fees, but also through payroll injection into our local economy."

Philip Dunlap, Auburn's economic development director, said the new jobs give Auburn an optimistic future.

"I think anytime you add new positions that's a positive," he said.

He said the technology-based, value-added manufacturers will create solid employment opportunities for our citizens.

"Cumberland is an outstanding example of one of the many partnerships that exist among our industries," he said. "We have been fortunate to have Donaldson in Auburn for 10 years. Their products are well-known and well-respected."

For information on jobs with Cumberland or Donaldson, contact the Alabama Career Center's Auburn-Opelika Office at 334-749-5704.

Share and discuss “Cumberland Plastic Systems LLC and Donaldson Company Inc. Add Jobs to Auburn” on social media.