Habitat for Humanity Looking for Helping Hands

Auburn's Tiger Habitat is a hands-on organization that has built nearly 40 homes for families in need with the help of student volunteers.

"The main purpose of Habitat for Humanity is building simple, decent, and affordable housing," said Thomas Achey, outgoing vice president of Tiger Habitat. "Tiger Habitat is an extension of the Lee County Habitat for Humanity organization."

Founded in 1976, Habitat for Humanity International is a non-profit, Christian organization whose main objective is to eliminate inferior and poverty housing worldwide.

Tiger Habitat is currently finishing up a house during this summer, which is not ideal, said Daniel Cox, outgoing president of Tiger Habitat.

They started this house around last February and they are in the process of finishing up last minute details.

Cox said they are always accepting working hands. If any students in Auburn this summer are interested in helping visit their Web site for more information www.auburn.edu/habitat.

"We are looking to provide housing to worthy families who reach a certain financial bracket," Cox said. "Tiger Habitat will physically raise the funds to build a house and we also contribute student volunteers while the housing is being put together."

The organization is looking forward to new student volunteers and already has a few things planned for the fall.

"We are having fundraisers for the Halloween festival, we will be at Organizational Days and Welcome Week as well," said Dustin Taylor, incoming president of Tiger Habitat.

Becoming a member of Tiger Habitat has been a way for students to get involved while also impacting many lives.

"My favorite thing about Tiger Habitat is the camaraderie," Achey said. "I have interacted with so many people and it's been a blessing. From the student volunteers, my fellow executive officers, the community members and the future homeowners, my interactions with all of them have been truly rewarding."

Achey said volunteers are welcome to the site throughout the week.

To get involved and informed, students should consider attending the monthly meeting on Tuesdays.

Since they are not meeting during the summer, visit their Web site for contact information. Both are outlets for letting members know about the opportunities and progress of the house. Any number of students are welcome with any or no experience.

Even if there are not current projects through Tiger Habitat at this moment volunteers can still contact Lee County Habitat for Humanity.

"We work together with the Lee county habitat office located in Opelika," Cox said. "They will meet with students in their office to discuss other building opportunities."

Taylor said member dues are $25 a semester and students get to help out the organization, be up to date with housing projects and attend the monthly meetings. They plan to meet this fall at 6 p.m. on Tuesdays in the student center.

According to Tiger Habitat's Web site, although Habitat for Humanity is a Christian organization, they maintain an open door policy: All who desire to be a part of this work are welcome regardless of religious preference or background.

All building materials are either donated by local businesses or paid for by financial contributions. Students can donate building supplies by contacting Lee County Habitat for Humanity at (334) 745-2123.

Share and discuss “Habitat for Humanity Looking for Helping Hands” on social media.